AR 556 sling mount

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Wife wants a sling on her AR 556.
Found a sling she likes.
When looking for the front sling mount I have found reviews on different manufacturers websites.
Some reviews say the QD mounts that one manufacturer sells are great, others say they don't stay in.
Some say it's a Ruger machining issue of the hole.
What have you experienced as far as the mounts holding tight?
Favorite manufacturer?
If nothing stays in, find another way or have Ruger fix it?
No way of telling which manufacturer mount works until you buy it?
Any one know how the hole should gauge?

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
The Ruger AR556 comes with a hole under the front sight post for a quick connect QD type sling attachment.
Asking what types of problems has anyone come across and how did they solve any problems.
This is the type I'm talking about, maybe not this brand just an example.

https://shopruger.com/Recessed-Plunger-Push-Button-Swivels/productinfo/13100/

gunzo

Buckeye
The detent grove in the socket is too far down from the surface, or the distance from the detent balls on the swivel are too close to shoulder & allowing the shoulder to bottom out before the balls seat well into the grove.

If so, removing material on the top of the socket will allow the shank of the swivel to insert deeper, or find swivels with a longer shank distance from the shoulder to the detent balls.

I've run into this when mixing up components from different manufactures & especially different countries of manufacture.

Or, buy swivels from Ruger & if they are incompatible with the Ruger sockets, insist they find the problem.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
The detent grove in the socket is too far down from the surface, or the distance from the detent balls on the swivel are too close to shoulder & allowing the shoulder to bottom out before the balls seat well into the grove.

If so, removing material on the top of the socket will allow the shank of the swivel to insert deeper, or find swivels with a longer shank distance from the shoulder to the detent balls.

I've run into this when mixing up components from different manufactures & especially different countries of manufacture.

Or, buy swivels from Ruger & if they are incompatible with the Ruger sockets, insist they find the problem.

Looked at the reviews folks posted on the Shop Ruger website about the ones bought on that site and found some not too favorable.
Appears to be more of a Ruger machining issue of the hole the QD inserts into.
Read one review where the guy sent the rifle back to Ruger.
Not something I want to do.
Guess I'll just buy one and see what happens.

There a multitude of "push button" type sling connections on the market. Lots of Chinesium low quality/poor fitting stuff. I've had good results with MagPul push button connectors.

Latest posts