Malfunctioning Mini

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRanger

Blackhawk
I sent my Mini-14 back to Ruger this morning. Of the several I've owned, none has ever malfunctioned...until this one. It's a late production rifle, supposedly one of the improved models. About every ten rounds it experiences a failure to fully extract and eject. Sometimes it makes it through twenty rounds, but usually no more than ten. I'm using factory new Ruger 20-round magazines and Speer factory 5.56mm ammunition. The weapon is kept clean. I'm not sure what the trouble is, but suspect inadequate extractor tension. Hopefully Ruger will get the problem corrected.

OOPS, here we go again.
My experience with Mini ejection was "about 3/4 of a lap around the inside of the pickup cab". When the rifle was fired out of the driver's side window, brass bounced off the windshield, headliner, passenger window, and landed behind the seat.

Mobuck said:
OOPS, here we go again.
My experience with Mini ejection was "about 3/4 of a lap around the inside of the pickup cab". When the rifle was fired out of the driver's side window, brass bounced off the windshield, headliner, passenger window, and landed behind the seat.

Sounds like it functioned properly. :wink: :lol: :wink:

That's what one could call "positive" ejection.
I was inferring that there was a distinction made between the "Target" model being .223 only vs 5.56(which the OP mentions he was shooting).
IMHO There is much less difference between "commercial 5.56" and commercial .223 than one might find when comparing "military issue 5.56" to commercial .223.
Checking the specs of OTC factory loaded 5.56, I don't see that there's much/any diff vs factory loaded .223. Some brands of 55 grain OTC 5.56 are listed @ 100 fps +/- faster but I've seen certain lots of factory .223 that are faster than the 5.56. My experience has been that using "military ISSUE" (not the so called mil-spec) ammo in a tight chamber, short throat barrel is more likely to cause problems.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Rifle came back from Ruger with a note stating they replaced the bolt lock and ejector and repaired the bolt and "slide." (I presume they mean the operating rod.) A target was included showing they fired a 7/8-inch group at 50 yards. It doesn't say just exactly what was wrong with the bolt, but obviously something was. Look forward to giving it a test fire.