Got me an American Ranch 5.56

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Been wanting a bolt action that takes AR mags for a long time and have been interested in the American Ranch 5.56. The one and only thing I don't like about it is the lack of sights, I don't care for scopes on carbines. Found that Nodak Spud makes M16 style sights for it, only $120.00 or so delivered. Ordered the sights and found the rifle in stock at the fun store so I bought it.

Ruger really did a great job on this one, other than the lack of sights. The plastic stock is surprisingly rigid and quite comfortable for me, more so than any AR. The bolt cycles smoothly and the trigger is a very crisp 5 pounds or so, I don't really feel any need to adjust it. Only fired it at 60 yards so far, but it seems to be at least as accurate as my AR's. Love this carbine, thanks Ruger. Coyotes watch out!

289413-3363d0dbd9224348ae508139382bce6e.jpg

I've owned and/or shot a number of American rifles and carbines. In spite of their budget status, they have all been extremely good shooters.

Although I would also like to see a version with aperture sights, I've used the Ranch Rifle with a compact scope, and didn't miss the sights at all. It still remained an extremely agile little rifle.

You were lucky to find the American Ranch in .223 . I've been watching for quite some time for one, and they are scarce. :mrgreen:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have one of those.
I really like it. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot.
I have a Leupold scope on mine and can hit clay pigeons at 200 yards very easily. Not that that is a marksman's status by any means.
It is a lot of fun to shoot.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The Nodak Spud sights sealed the deal for me, since I use apertures on most of my long guns already. Previously, I was waffling on buying the rifle as I would probably have to spend $$$ for custom sights.

No sights = no problem for my use but the LGS hasn't had an AR mag American .223 on the rack for almost 2 years. Seems the guys who visit the store frequently keep them bought up. After March 2020, I just quit going in.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have not shot mine yet. I put a vintage Three Prong Flash Suppressor on it. For Glass I have a Weaver Extreme Classic 2.5 -10X Duplex. I swapped out the trigger spring for a ball point pen spring cut to length. Mine was touching the barrel out on the forend a little. A few minutes with sand paper had it back to floating again. This is Old Number Three. My first American Ranch was a 300BO, which I traded back in for the 7.62X39 version. I then bought the 5.56 to go along with it. I am still working with the 7.62x39.

Bob R

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Out to 100 yards, which is as far as I can use sights on any gun, the RAR is right on the money. This is a low cost design but it sure doesn't feel cheaply made by any means. I've examined alot of more expensive guns that had worse triggers and bolts that didn't cycle as smoothly as the RAR does. I had my misgivings about the stock with it's cavernous empty space under the barrel but it fits me really well and seems alot more rigid than I thought it was going to be.

Now I just need to finish dialing in my PC Carbine...