Ruger American Predator, older model magazine options?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My Toy

Bearcat
I just purchased an unfired Ruger American Predator in 308 with the rotary magazine. I have a Ruger Am. Ranch in 5.56 with the detachable magazine. I'm really impressed with the Am. Ranch in 5.56 but the rotary magazine on the Predator 308 seem about as cheap and flimsy as could possibly be made. I inquired to Ruger customer service to see if the detachable magazine conversion could be used on my rifle (it does have the removable mag well); but they told me that it wouldn't work as the serial number of my rifle was below the cut off were they started to make the rifle compatible with the detachable (AI) mags. They said it had to do with the bolt on my model not having a cutout that the newer bolts have. There is a pretty long thread on this board where some people incorporated the detachable mag conversion on an older rifle and it worked; some others had a problem with it.

Anyone have any more recent experience with this? Also I'm looking at the Magpul Hunter line of detachable magazine stocks as an option to use the AI mags. Has anyone here used the Magpul stock on an older Predator ( the prefix of the serial number on my rifle is 699 followed by a dash)?

I have 5 Americans, 3 with the "flimsy" flush fit magazines and the other 2 are rimfires. I have not had a bit of trouble with any of them. I actually prefer the flush mount mags over the extended version. I have two mags for each centerfire rifle. I have used the 223 on two prairie dog shoots, so the mags got a workout.

When they first came out I saw an outdoor show on TV and the Ruger rep told the host not to worry about the mags, and should one break they would replace it.

The magazine on the TC Compass is similarly "flimsy" feeling. After a season's use w/o any real issues, I'd still pay $100 to convert to AR10 type detachable magazines.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I have a Predator in .308 and have the flush mount rotary magazine and have no problems so far. I also went on the ShopRuger website and pulled up the Ruger American Rifle and looked at the magazines there. If you look at the magazine they offer for the 450 Bushmaster (item #90633), it's a 3 round mag and it doesn't quite fit flush. I bought one and really like it and have had no issues with it. This same mag will also work in the RAR .243.