If an old friend asked about semi-auto carbine?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A 74 year old friend asked for advice/assistance on the subject of a semi-auto carbine and 9mm pistol. I assumed he meant an AR but lately have been thinking on the subject and about his real life needs. I know he has a .308 bolt action cause I sold it to him when I had my FFL. Also know he lives in suburbs and not likely to be doing any varmint hunting. He's mostly a shotgun guy(or was before he got too old to walk the fields).
Option 1 was a plain vanilla 16" AR carbine with an optic(he already has a spare scope) and a Ruger P89(or similar). That would require two types of magazines and ammo supply which is problematic right now as we all know. Giving the entire aspect more consideration, I'm less sure this is the best advice.
Option 2 would be a PCC in 9mm with a matching mag/ammo pistol. Compared to an AR, the PCC has much less range but is more manageable and better suited to a less knowledgeable user. The guy already has a very capable longer range rifle so maybe an AR isn't applicable or desirable for his needs. I've shot both PC9 Ruger and Marlin Camp 9 so have a fair idea of what a 9mm carbine can do.
If both of the mentioned options are readily available--opinions??

9x19

Hunter
Nothing wrong with the PC Carbine and a good companion pistol... especially for an urban setting.

Of course, there are AR variants in 9mm as well as other designs (Kel-Tec, Beretta, etc.), most are Glock magazine compatible, though the Kel-Tec comes in other flavors and the Beretta is family-oriented.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
i had the older ruger pc carbine in 9mm and tho it worked very well, it was also heavy. i sold it to a friend and he loves it. i sill have a winchester m-1 carbine and colt m-4 carbine and they now fill that slot.

In reality, this guy isn't looking for a hunting rifle--we can all understand that. He's not going to move to the country--also understandable. He's asking for a home defense gun for use in a suburban area--plain and simple. Considering all these things, a 9mm carbine & pistol combo seems a better solution than a 9mm pistol and a rifle caliber carbine. He has zero ammo for either so starting from scratch in a near zero availability market. I'm also considering the technical aspect: he's not really a "gun guy" and I'm a bit worried about giving him a one time crash course in operating and maintaining something like an AR vs the relative simplicity of a PC9 or Camp 9.

RSIno1

Hunter
I'd steer him to a Glock 17 or 19 and an AR platform that uses the same magazine. He can get the 32 round Glock magazine that will fit all of them or stick with the 10-15-17 round mags that come with whichever pistol he picks. Nothing easier to maintain than a AR. Lots of kids who have never seen a gun get trained by the Army in very little time.

I have that combination.. Ruger P series pistol in 9mm and their original carbine in the same... not only same ammo but same magazines.... in fact (and I know this is crazy) I actually have it in triplicate....

The issue is I decided to step up to 357 Sig caliber... now that is a challenge. But I actually have a Glock (spit) pistol on order... already have the rifles....

But if he is looking for new rifles in a pistol caliber I would at least look at what TNW firearms offers. Even though the guns only accept Glock (spit) magazines.... The TNW firearms look like an AR style gun but the lower is different and they are cheaper... but you have to put on your own sighting system...

(I'm not a fan of Glocks (spit).... don't really like striker fired and the pistols are just plain ugly, in my opinion.)

Here is both the TNW rifle and pistol:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
They don't make them anymore, but my personal choice is .44 magnum. Either a Ruger Deerfield or a Ruger .44 Carbine. Both available on Gunbroker. The Deerfield is a little harder to find, but not necessarily better.

I have the newer version of the Ruger PC9 carbine and two Security 9 pistols. All take the same mags, and I have 10 of them. I have a laser/light combo on the Carbine and on one of the pistols. Every new shooter I take to the range loves them.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
First not all 74 year olds are the same, some are frail and some will kick your ass.
The PC carbine is fine for what he wants but has some recoil although mild by most standards and a pistol to match what ever mags he is using.
The M1 carbine might be a better choice, less recoil, lighter and if he is a vet may be familiar with how to use it. Pick what ever pistol you like.
Don't count out the 10-22. Yes 22lr would not be my first choice for defense but it is light, has no recoil and 10 his is better than a big miss and one of the Ruger MK pistols and if he is married the wife can use them.
Personally I have all three and the M1 will be the last to go and was the weapon I gave my dad when he was in his 70s. He was a Marine Corp vet and was quite happy with that choice.

mjh

Single-Sixer
My brother while not unfamiliar with firearms only had a very old single shot 410 and was a bit of a johnny come lately to stepping up and buying what he needed. We don't live close so I couldn't give him direct help. I did suggest to him a 9mm handgun and an matching carbine for his location and needs. Being late to the show he ended up with a .38 revolver and a semi auto 20ga. turkey gun. He has ammo for both but I'm pretty sure he has not fired either. I might get together with him this summer and give him some learning.......maybe a bit of hard brotherly love as for being a bit of a slow adopter....

mac66

Single-Sixer
The Ruger PCC makes an ideal companion to a Ruger or Glock pistol. No need to look anywhere else. The problem is finding one.

At this point, I've narrowed the possibles down to the Camp 9/ S&W 915 combo with a bag of magazines that fit both and 200-300 rounds of 9mm or an AR and P89 with matching mags/ammo. Value is about the same. I'm not breaking up the Camp 9/S&W pair but have several AR's and P89's.

Mobuck.... this might not be the place to offer it.... but I really need to get serious about reducing some of my inventory....

I might be talked into getting rid of one of my older PC9s and a P95....

kschwa

Bearcat
Like Blume357 I have an older Ruger PC9 and a P89. I love the both of them together, same mags and ammo. I would like another PC9 to go with my other P89's for my cabin.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
I've shot both PC9 Ruger and Marlin Camp 9 so have a fair idea of what a 9mm carbine can do.

..he's not really a "gun guy" and I'm a bit worried about giving him a one time crash course in operating and maintaining something like an AR vs the relative simplicity of a PC9 or Camp 9

LOL, I was going to chime in here with my reasoning, only to find that you'd settled on it a few posts further down:

Mobuck said:
.. I've narrowed the possibles down to the Camp 9/ S&W 915 combo with a bag of magazines that fit both and 200-300 rounds of 9mm

Or, a good P89, 95, etc series of pistol with the original PC9. Several have mentioned that latter here in this thread. I sold my new-model carbine and kept the Marlin. It just shoots nicer, IMO. Lighter too. S&W 59 series mags are still easily found, albeit limited to 14/15 rounds older, vs. new-style (w/black plastic baseplate).

eastbank said:
i had the older ruger pc carbine in 9mm and tho it worked very well, it was also heavy.

It's been a long while since I have shot one, but I seem to recoil it shot SOFTER
than the new-fangled one. Plus, the safety switch is at the rear of the trigger, for easier ambi-use.

I will say, the 9mm PCC will not do nearly as much hearing damage as an AR in 5.56x45 if needed to be used for something that goes bump in the night indoors.

Some damage, yes, I'm sure. But I have shot my KelTec Sub2000 indoors (once), and it wasn't bad without hearing protection - definitely reminded me to put my plugs back in though! :)

mpalm

Single-Sixer
Love the original 1996 -2005 version Ruger PC carbines. They were solid performers, built like tanks to take abuse. I still have a PC4.
The version2 ones built today .........meh , just a cheaper copy.
You can never duplicate an original.

Latest posts