If an old friend asked about semi-auto carbine?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cdog

Bearcat
I like the Ruger PC 9mm. I have the more subdued looking one in basic black. Model 19100. Previously I had a KelTec Sub2000 that I just couldn't ever warm up to.

The Ruger's handy size, low recoil, and compatibility with Ruger or Glock mags make it easy to feed. For home defense the 9mm is what I choose for closer ranges and a lower chance of collateral damage.

I have a Security 9 or two. A very good pistol and at their price point hard to beat. Up to 17 rounds, one type mag for both works for me.

bentblade said:
First not all 74 year olds are the same, some are frail and some will kick your ass.
The PC carbine is fine for what he wants but has some recoil although mild by most standards and a pistol to match what ever mags he is using.
The M1 carbine might be a better choice, less recoil, lighter and if he is a vet may be familiar with how to use it. Pick what ever pistol you like.
Don't count out the 10-22. Yes 22lr would not be my first choice for defense but it is light, has no recoil and 10 his is better than a big miss and one of the Ruger MK pistols and if he is married the wife can use them.
Personally I have all three and the M1 will be the last to go and was the weapon I gave my dad when he was in his 70s. He was a Marine Corp vet and was quite happy with that choice.
I am curious. How does an M1 carbine (.30 cal), have less recoil than an PC (9mm)?
gramps

BearBiologist

Buckeye
My EDC is a Glock 27 converted to 357 Sig. I match it up with an AR556 with Truglo 1-6x. Wife has a G43 (9mm) and a G17. Just got a PC9 and am very impressed. Put in the Glock mag well (uses Glock double stacks) and a red dot. Mostly for her.