Two ?s on New Mini-30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Search function's been down for hours, so I apologize.
Picked up a new 5806 sku in stainless.

There are four tiny socket head screws in with the 3 used
to mount the pic-rail. Are those just to fill the
receiver holes if you choose not to mount the rail?

Are there any aftermarket 10, and 20rd mags that will work well?

Thanks.

57springer

Buckeye
I have the same gun. I will take a look at mine and the Pic. mt . As for mags ,I am not sure anyone makes m30 after market mags . ? There are after markets for the M14 for sure as I have some of those .

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Aftermarket mags for the Mini's are hit and miss, for whatever reason they'll work fine on one and not function on others, it can get expensive trying to save some bucks, I've given up and just go for originals.

57springer

Buckeye
I checked my m30 , and looked at the Pic. mt . mine is still in the plastic bag . I only have 3 of each screw and yeah those small ones are fillers. They just gave you an extra if you have 4. I searched for mini 30 mags and "Pro mag " makes 20 rounders . Looked at the reviews seem to be ok .

hittman

Staff member
Does your Mini digest steel cased commie ammo okay?

I've often thought of buying one but constantly hear you have to run expensive brass case ammo for good function.

57springer

Buckeye
hittman said:

I've often thought of buying one but constantly hear you have to run expensive brass case ammo for good function.
I have only ever shot good ammo through it . I have an Ak and several sks's . I have a several cases of "norinco " 762 I bought back in the day for them , never put any through my mini 30. But I know what you are talking about . I have read up on it . Aks and sks have "rebounding " firing pins and are designed to fire the harder berdan commie ammo . I read you can get a firing pin for the Mini that will hold up . I will dig in my notes to find the name , its an aftermarket pin.

NikA

Buckeye
I fitted an aftermarket firing pin to my Mini with the same protrusion as ComBlock pins and fire steel case ammo through it. Didn't fire a bunch before the FP swap but do remember thinking the pin indents looked a bit anemic. I posted on it here somewhere...

57springer

Buckeye
The replacement Firing pin for minis is from Firingpins.com , $67 . I read about it various places , supposed to Fire commie ammo just fine . Fits mini 30 and 14 .

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the answer on the screws. I did mount the pic rail, thought without using the supplied loc-tite for now. I want to play around with a red-dot on it.

I've always been of the mind that you fire inexpensive, Com-Bloc ammo through
inexpensive, Com-BLoc guns, LOL. But...ymmw. Thankfully, there's enough brass cased stuff out there. So far I have some Geco and PPP.

cowboy77845

Bearcat
hittman said:

I had to get a lengthened firing pin to reliably fire steel cased ammo in my mini 30. Was surprised because I thought the SKS worked with all types of ammo . Seems to work ok. I had an SKS that performed similarly. Never could get the SKS to work reliably.

Tracker1

Bearcat
I have a Pro Mag steel 30 rounder that works fine Also a Pro Mag 10 round steel mag that works fine.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
My Mini 30 does ok with steel but is flawless with brass cased ammo. Stay with factory mags.

Latest posts