77/41 Magnum ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Gator

Bearcat
So here's the deal, I have a 5" GP 100 and a 77/357 that I like a lot, but I also like and shoot 41 mag. So I've been thinking that it'd be fun to have a 77/41 mag, however, I have no idea how complicated this would be to accomplish. I would think maybe starting with a 77/44, would the mag work ?, a rebarrel, etc. Is this possible without going completely nuts, has it been done ? What do you all think ?

NikA

Buckeye
My guess is the magazine will not work. The rotary magazines Ruger uses for these rifles are fairly caliber-specific in my experience, without much chance of using them for a cartridge that is not based on the same case. The magazines are inexpensive enough, if it were my project and I was convinced it MIGHT work I'd buy a magazine and test it out.

That's exactly what I did when trying to determine if the 77/22H could be converted to .327 magnum. The magazine did not work and those two cases have nearly the same case head.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I had a brief "can you do it" with a gunsmith years back and he was confident in doing it but it'd be costly. I passed.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
It's been done using a 77/44 made into a 45 LC. A new barrel was installed and the magazine enlarged for the 45. I don't see a way to make the magazine smaller so the 357 opened up to 41 might be the only way. Don't know if the 357 would have enough meat to be opened up to a 41 or not. I don't remember the gunsmith who did it but he was around the KC area. Maybe the guns owner will see this thread and chime in.

NikA

Buckeye
Case diameter difference between .357 and. 41 is .055", versus .023" for .44 and .45. I'm betting that .45 LC required modifying the feed lips but not the spindle of the magazine; I have doubts about whether the same would be true for a .41 conversion.

Latest posts