Legal question... pistol to rifle?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not a bad idea 9x19.... what I wish is that TNW would just have a different marking imbedded in the receiver.... but I understand how that would add to the cost of manufacturing these... also it could cause a problem with useless inventory down the road if the current rules change.

RSIno1

Hunter
Mobuck said:
or a DIY 80% lower in their gun locker if they have a pistol upper in their possession.

I had one of my 80% lowers marked as pistol so there was no question how I originally built it.ve

Some of the recent "rules" have talked about if the length of pull was over 13" it was a rifle. If it has a forward grip it was a rifle because a pistol was designed to be fired by one hand. The original idea of the brace was to assist handicapped shooters. A rifle or shotgun has to be over 26" and have a barrel at least 16 rifle and 18 shotgun. There is no length requirement for a pistol or it's barrel.

The TC ruling: https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download#:~:text=When%20inserted%2C%20the%20pistol%20fires,of%2026%20inches%20or%20more.

NikA

Buckeye
I thought for sure a vertical forward grip on an AR pistol made it an AOW and thus subject to the NFA. Pretty sure that was the whole reason for the angled front grips.

It's been a while since I looked closely at the decisions that have come out, though.

Not that it has anything to do with my original question, but the good news is I just figured out where I can secure this critter in my work van... out of sight but easily retrievable...

I'm still trying my best not to think about buying a Glock 31,32 or 33... (same ammo and mags)

9x19

Hunter
:mrgreen:
I have AR pistols that share mags/ammo with my Glock 17, 20 and 21.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
In my state a Ar receiver is run on the federal form as other. I could just leave it at that. For whatever reason our state DOJ does background checks on pistols instead of NICS. So even though fed paperwork leave the receiver undesignated I pay the extra ten bucks and run all my AR receivers through the state as a pistol. As such there is no question they started as a pistol and in turn can be swapped back and forth from pistol to rifle.

My point was, where will you be 'sitting' while the various LEOs... wait for the FFL you did the transfer through opens up so they can go in the back and look through the paper work or the manufacturer opens up and answers the phone.

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
if you buy a stripped lower you can then go rifle or pistol but if its pistol and you sell it it must be transfured as a pistol since it is now a pistol .if you make a rifle it sells like a rifle but if you keep it you can go back and forth from rifle to pistol uppers but no stock on barrels under 16" or its a SBR