Ruger #3 Scope Bases

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
Recently I got a Ruger #3 in 30-40 Krag and it came with Ruger rings and bases. It's a non warning address. I've never seen Ruger rings and bases for the #3 before. All I ever saw was Weaver aluminum bases. Are Ruger #3 rings and bases not common to find?

MI-shooter

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
The are not very common, but they can be found, so I'd say they are not rare. They are specific to the No 3. Each caliber had the same barrel profile - the same rings fit everything from 22 Hornet to 45-70. I've had a few sets over the years and I ended up selling them because with the ring and the base they are so top heavy, I feel they spoil the balance of the carbine. I have the aluminum Weaver base and the two part aluminum and steel Weaver rings on mine. It was the lightest combination I could find. I wish Talley made a lightweight one piece ring/base for this application.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
i also have a set of the ruger bases for the #3,s to put ruger rings on them and i agree they do add weight.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I have a picture but no longer have a picture hosting site account so sorry. PM me your phone number and I can text it to you or an email address to send it to.

MI-shooter

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I picked up Ruger factory bases last year from Brownells. They're no longer listed. Don't know if I just got lucky of if it's something Brownells offers from time to time.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I do not think the 1V and No 3 bases are the same. I had a 1V and both sights were the same height. The No 3 bases I have are different heights and the bottom machined on an angle.

MI-shooter

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
It would appear that Ruger changed the 1V barrel profile then.
I know the bases for my older 1Vs and any No. 3s I've had will not interchange, with the possible exception of the 45-70 No. 3, and Ruger used to list the bases separately for these rifles (i.e. you could buy No. 3 bases OR 1V bases; there was never any mention of them being interchangeable)