Ruger #3 Customize

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Im sure this has been discussed before but here I go. I have a 30/40 krag #3 that sits in the back of the safe. My wife has used it to kill antelope. She now has laid claim to my 7mm rem mag.
The issue for me is my very large fingers dont fit comfortably gripping the rifle. Ive have tried different ways of placing my hand and fingers. So truth is I wont ever hunt with it the way it is. I have been thinking about changes to the rifle basically a full custom. I was thinking about a trigger guard similar to a Dakota model 10. It seems that a shotgun o/u trigger bow could be fit and either the lever heated and bent or some bar stock welding an file work?? Not sure how the latch would work?
I am also considering selling it or trading it. Just not much use for something I wont use.
Any idea what would be involved in make the lever more like the Dakota?
Is the 30/40 rare enough/valuable enough to trade for a no 1 ?
If I go the custom route I would not be opposed to trading for another no3 in a more common caliber
Jeff

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
The last one I sold brought 900 on Gunbroker. If you "customize" it, you could cut it's value in half or more.
As a dealer, when people come by with radically altered guns. I am 99% not interested.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
A No. 1 stock will fit. Gives a lot better feel, without permanent altering the rifle, thus no effect on value. These have been referred to as a No. 2.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Xrayist said:
A No. 1 stock will fit. Gives a lot better feel, without permanent altering the rifle, thus no effect on value. These have been referred to as a No. 2.
I have thought about a no 1 stock and may swap one to see how it fits. Im not hopeful that it will allow much more finger clearance.
I am thinking a very high end style custom. Color case on receiver, open pistol grip stock, Dakota style trigger bow and lever chambered in 280AI. You know the type of rifle that would grace the finest gun room. The kind of rifle that I would love to carry on a sheep hunt. Damn being fat and scared of places sheep roam sucks
Jeff

I used to own a "#2" originally chambered in 44 Mag. The previous owner was a gunsmith and reamed the chamber to .444 Marlin. It still shot the 44 Mag very well. I think the stock was a 1A. I do remember the recoil was just awful when shooting .444. I also had to position my fingers with my third finger in the finger notch as opposed to the second finger. If I didn't do that it was very painful to shoot. The lever was unmodified. For what it is worth, the resale value was about 25% less than a unmolested example.

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
You might take a look at what RJ Renner does with the No. 3. I had him give my 30-40 No. 3 his "Saddle Rifle" treatment and it's a big improvement in handling and feel. As part of the mod, he slightly changed the end of the lever to provide more finger room and I find it much more comfortable to shoot.