Mini 14 California Dept. of Corrections

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Looking for information regarding a Ruger Mini-14 model made by the factory recently which was produced for the California Department of Corrections. These are a blue barreled action of recent ranch design, with a walnut stock, black buttpad and California Department of Corrections medallion inlet into the right side of the buttstock. These also have a CDC prefix serial number. Curious how many of these may have been produced as well as Ruger's actual model number.
Chet15

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I'm sure they built quite a few of them because every prison in California had an armory full of them.
They were in every guard tower and were used to stop a few bad guys in the prison recreation yards from shanking others.

chet15

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Weren't these a commemorative rather than an actual duty gun for the department?

I suppose they were, but can't find any info on them. Surely there was some kind of circular sent out amongst CDC employees to see if they wanted to purchase one. Would like to know more info on these.
Chet15

mac66

Single-Sixer
maybe this will help

https://www.californiavictims.com/mini-14-instructions.html?fbclid=IwAR0Tnp1b3rzlOimb7_uRgIcn8bB5L1IGmPsDgMZQYM9ZbRTNeuabdWWeT5o

RSIno1

Hunter
Dept of Corrections has/had Mini 14s. I don't know it they were ordered from Ruger with "property of" markings of if they were marked by the distributor or dept (if they are marked at all).
These are just medallions stuck on a regular Mini model 5801 and sold as a collectible.

chet15

Hawkeye
mac66 said:
maybe this will help

https://www.californiavictims.com/mini-14-instructions.html?fbclid=IwAR0Tnp1b3rzlOimb7_uRgIcn8bB5L1IGmPsDgMZQYM9ZbRTNeuabdWWeT5o

Wow! there it is!!
Thanks for the tip!!
Chet15

mpalm

Single-Sixer
Damn wish I could have bought one of those . That is a sweet looking rifle! $860 is a steal in todays market