Hawkeye Long Range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

martyj

Blackhawk
Took My 300 win mag Hawkeye out just to see how accurate it really was and it reached a mile and had no problem at all with accuracy.
I was shooting Berger 215 hybrid..The 1-9 twist barrel is one of Rugers better ideas and this gun will shoot with any custom rifle.

Just asking what is your idea of no problem with accuracy. Let us know more, like scope used, how fired, wind, what was the target, how many rounds your test took. What were the groups sizes. Stuff like that.
No attempt on my part to be rude or argue about what you did. I like to learn about the basics of a post if describing a test or trial.
I do think it's cool you shot that distance.

martyj

Blackhawk
I was shooting a 30 inch plate at a mile.

It was zeroed at 200 and stated at 600 yards. I just kept increasing every 100 yards out to 100 then 1250, 1450, mile.
As far as groups go they were holding tight . i shot life size rabbit @ 600, coyote @ 700, fox @ 800, and coon @ 900.
Scope was viper 6x20 mil dot.
Wind was 2 oclock 12 mph, not bad at all for here.

It is just a well built and design rifle with 1-9 barrel.
No offense taken just not a very good story teller and was impressed with rifle.

Probably went through 35 rounds by time I shot animal targets.
My 338 edge was hitting 20 inch plate at 1776 consistently.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
martyj said:
Hawkeye® Long-Range Target
https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLRT/specSheets/47183.html

Looks like you have the QD cups instead of sling swivel studs. I am asking since you have this setup. Since you could get an AR type sling (2 point) it would appear that would offset some of the extra weight of this rifle? Have you experimented with that?

I ask because not many years ago I did not care what a rifle weighed and could carry all day. At 67 I do notice now but I like the stability of a heavier rifle and the fact they are easier to hold steady in the field with a crosswind.

This rifle offers alot.
Thanks

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
martyj said:
I was shooting a 30 inch plate at a mile.

It was zeroed at 200 and stated at 600 yards. I just kept increasing every 100 yards out to 100 then 1250, 1450, mile.
As far as groups go they were holding tight . i shot life size rabbit @ 600, coyote @ 700, fox @ 800, and coon @ 900.
Scope was viper 6x20 mil dot.
Wind was 2 oclock 12 mph, not bad at all for here.

It is just a well built and design rifle with 1-9 barrel.
No offense taken just not a very good story teller and was impressed with rifle.

Probably went through 35 rounds by time I shot animal targets.
My 338 edge was hitting 20 inch plate at 1776 consistently.

Dang good shooting, both from the rifle and the driver. Have you hunted with those 215's ?

Latest posts