5 or 10 round magazines for AR 15 platforms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MO regs demand 10 rounds or less for deer hunting(or for varmint hunting during deer season). I've had good results with MagPul 10's and OK results with HERA 10's(although HERAs only hold 8 until well broken in). For the "exotics" (.224V, 6.5, 6.8, 22 Nosler) the DuraMags, C-Prod, and ASC 10's are fully functional.

Just a bit of advice: only buy 1-2 of any brand/type of AR mag until you've proven how well they work in your AR. Most 223/5.56 mags work in any AR but when you get into as I call them "exotics", feeding can become problematic. Also, some plastic mags don't interface with some mag catches resulting in questionable mag retention and/or hard to seat magazines.

One little tidbit I've discovered: Some/most new mag springs are VERY stiff and often feed lips are rough or have burrs. It may help to leave the new mags loaded for a couple days and/or load/unload the mag by hand several times just to relieve some of the tension and roughness.
I have not been able to load a full 10 rounds in any of my HERA mags regardless of how long I leave them loaded with 8 or how often I use them. I use black P-Mags for coyote loads and brown HERA mags for deer loads. Two of each have been loaded since October 2019 but still can only get 8 in the HERA(100% functional with 8).

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I like the 5 round. When I got my AR15 M4, 15 years ago I asked
the Local Gun Shop if I could trade the Metal 30rd for a Metal 5
rounder they had, and they did. Several days later I found
another 5 rounder at Cabela's Bargain Cave at half price too.

I have several Military Steel and the Magpul 30 rounders, very
dependable, but cumbersome when carrying in the AR15.

Recently bought a Magpul 20rd and I like it. It is just a little
longer than the 5 rounder and holders the 20 Reloads I don't
know what to do with.

Like the guy posted above, out Hunting, one shot it's all over.

This is the Way.

"Like the guy posted above, out Hunting, one shot it's all over."
While I've not run a 10 round mag dry, I've used more than 5 on several occasions while calling coyotes. Things can get pretty wild when multiple coyotes are coming in fast. After deer season is over and 10 round max is no longer the law, we switch to 20's and don't carry extra mags or loose ammo.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I have a couple 5 rounders......here in MAssachusetts all you can buy are 10 rounds or less.......Assault weapons ban was enacted here in 1994 and it never expired. .....watch out...Biden may do the same on national level?

Sapo

Single-Sixer
I use 10 rd mag in my bolt action 223. 20 rd when I had an AR. Any larger just gets in the way. Midsouth carries Amend2 magazines, 10 rd. Thinking I need some.

I think "Amend2" mags are OK but haven't tried them much. I do have some in my shopping cart on one of the internet sites-just waiting to see how a couple of business deals go before spending more $$.

Thanks guys! Lots of good information. I was going to deer hunt with mine, since my eye doctor hadn't lifted the restrictions on using high power rifles since I had surgery. The restrictions were lifted and I shot a deer at 28 yds with my .308. The 5 round mag gives me the perception of versatility now.
gramps

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I use the 20 round black stainless AR Stoner mags from Midway in my rifles and they work great. Kentucky only requires a 10 round mag for deer, bear, and elk.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Copied from just above--

""Like the guy posted above, out Hunting, one shot it's all over.""

I watch a lot of Foxpro youtubes and those guys make a hit on 2nd or 3rd shot every now and then..