Now That Ruger Owns Marlin ,Lever Gun???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9x19

Hunter
The NEW catalog...

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/Marlin_Firearms.pdf

gunzo

Buckeye
Thanks for the pdf, 9x19.

Very interesting. Looks like Remington had already had the catalog made & a bunch of whiteout used. They missed one clue with a box of Remington ammo pictured next to a rifle. That ammo doesn't exist at the present time.

A heck of a line up.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm about 99% sure that is the old Remlin catalog there. It would be awesome if Ruger intends to produce everything in it, I really really want an 1895CBA!

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
I've always wondered if rimless rounds like the 9/40/45 be chambered into a lever or pumper. An 18" pattern with 15rds of 9mm would be a hoot.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Agree 100%, a Marlin 1894 in 9mm/.40/.45 would be very successful. I would buy one for sure. No reason why the cartridges wouldnt work, since they headspace on the chamber. Marlin has made the 336 in .35 Remington for a long time.

hittman

Staff member
Nice video with, at least for me, an update on where things stand. Thanks for sharing.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Just thinking out loud here...
Conceivably Ruger could make the 39 out of Zamak which is the zinc alloy they make the Wrangler out of and which Henry makes their very successful 22 lever guns out of. There obviously is a market for 22 lever guns which Henry has built their success on. An affordable 39 like model, perhaps even a takedown would score big in the marketplace IMO. Maybe not for purists but if it was affordable it would sell well.

hpman66

Hunter
Just got this in a Ruger email.

f1f87550-6fd9-4392-94c8-41b421c7d939.jpg

mac66 said:
Just thinking out loud here...
Conceivably Ruger could make the 39 out of Zamak which is the zinc alloy they make the Wrangler out of and which Henry makes their very successful 22 lever guns out of. There obviously is a market for 22 lever guns which Henry has built their success on. An affordable 39 like model, perhaps even a takedown would score big in the marketplace IMO. Maybe not for purists but if it was affordable it would sell well.

Just as long as they didn't call it the Model 39. Such a new piece could be seen as a companion to the Wrangler.

Ruger was smart enough to call the Wrangler by its own name and not a Single-Six.

Just my stodgy old opinion. :wink:

Valman

Bearcat
I have stodgy old opinions too.

The idea of Ruger/Marlin bringing back classic products seems like dreamland.

Look at the Ruger catalog -- the classic Rugers that we older guys know and love are fast disappearing, and most of them have now become collectibles. IMHO, the Wrangler sounded the death knell of The Old Man's ground-breaking ideas and his design genius. Others here have moaned about the bean counters and lawyers who run the business. But that's how businesses adapt to new realities and survive in new markets.

I feel fortunate to have a safe full of great Ruger revolvers and rifles. A few classic Marlins too, one great shooter dating back to 1889. I do not expect to see any more.

Just my stodgy old opinion...

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I suspect that Ruger is not going to reintroduce too many Marlins at once, after watching the roller coaster disaster that was Remlin. I think they will do a few models at a time and really try to do them right. Surely they are aware that days of "economy" lever actions (i.e. Winchester 94 Ranger and Marlin Glenfield 30) are long gone, their place being firmly occupied by the hoard of accurate and functional $300.00 bolt actions on the market today. At the same time, there are multitudes of shooters willing to pay a respectable price for a lever action done right. Henry and even Rossi aren't going to be caught up on orders for years.

mac66

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
I suspect that Ruger is not going to reintroduce too many Marlins at once, after watching the roller coaster disaster that was Remlin. I think they will do a few models at a time and really try to do them right. Surely they are aware that days of "economy" lever actions (i.e. Winchester 94 Ranger and Marlin Glenfield 30) are long gone, their place being firmly occupied by the hoard of accurate and functional $300.00 bolt actions on the market today. At the same time, there are multitudes of shooters willing to pay a respectable price for a lever action done right. Henry and even Rossi aren't going to be caught up on orders for years.

I would think they would want to ease back into the lever gun market. Introduce a basic 336 in 30-30 and then various configurations and then versions of the big bores, i.e, 45-70s. That seems to where the lever gun market is. That and tactical black and/or all weather lever guns.

I love my 3 Marlin lever guns (and my old Winchester too) but I ain't paying $700+ for a new one, I don't care who makes it.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I don't enjoy paying over $700.00 for any gun, but if the gun is well made and I want it then I will. I would rather pay a high price for a quality gun that works the first time than a lower price for something that has to go back to the factory or the gunsmith right away.