considering a 556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I've only had handguns, and lately have been considering a longer gun for target, home etc. no particular NEED for one, but they sure seem like a popular thing to have at the ready.
Those of you that know these better than I have any comments? Am I on the right track for a long gun or should I consider something different? The attached link is the one under consideration.
Of course my LGS has zero inventory but when they do, I'd be ready to pull the trigger (see what I did there?)

https://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8515.html

9x19

Hunter
That model would be just fine for the use you intend.

The M&P 15 Sport from S&W is another good candidate.

hittman

Staff member
I agree with 9x19.

Mine works like a champ.

There's also lots of options in that caliber if you want to avoid the "evil black rifle" look too.

9x19

Hunter
These days, I suspect they'd be more correctly defined as a:
Ubiquitous Black Rifle. :D

9x19

Hunter
Minis are good weapons, but I've come to genuinely appreciate the modern AR pattern guns.

Their easy modularity, reliability and wide range of available calibers makes them my choice. They are just so easy to assemble and maintain, as well as modify and customize to your smallest desired detail.

I guess that's why I have so many. :D

I had an earlier Mini-14 version mostly because it mimicked the M-14 platform that I was familiar with. Not sufficiently accurate for my needs and traded away within a few months.
Over the past 20 years, I've become an AR fan. The platform is just so "adjustable" in terms of use and function that it's become my favorite shooting platform. The "556" is the part I question. Is 5.56/223 the proper caliber for your purposes or did you just look at the specific model? If you're a "handgun only" shooter up to this point, maybe you should look at a pistol caliber version that uses the same ammo as a handgun caliber you already stock. A 16" carbine makes the 9x19 a solid 100 yard fun plinker/defense round and adds significantly to the performance of the little cartridge at closer ranges. 40 S&W and 45 ACP will also see some increase in performance but not as much.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I've had a mini14 since I bought a new stainless ranch during the previous panic in 1994. Its a great rifle, fun to shoot and with the barrel stabilizer its a sub 3moa at 50 yards. As good as a low cost AR15. People ask me all the time if they should get an AR15 or mini14 and I always recommend the AR15. If you're not stuck buying a mini14 to conforming to local laws get an AR15. Its a better system with lots of marketplace support. The mini14 is an expensive orphan. I finally broke down last month and bought an AR15. Now feel stupid for waiting so long.....