considering a 556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I own a Ruger AR556. It's every bit as good as the Colt AR I carried in Iraq 12 years ago. It's the only AR I own.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I've really appreciated all the input here. Thnx everyone for your thoughts. I've request that I get a call from my LGS when they finally receive something to touch.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Don't overlook building your own. Quite often this is the cheaper way to go and you can build it exactly as you want it. I have an M16A4 style rifle and carbine, probably have $1000.00 in both of them.

"Don't overlook building your own."

IF(big if these days) one can find a lower at a reasonable price, assembling an AR isn't difficult. The rest of the parts aren't too expensive but you'll be hard pressed to beat some of the store pricing on factory built AR's. I dropped into a LGS for the first time since April 2020 and they had 23 AR's in boxes on a pallet in the middle of the floor @ $575 each. "Entry level" carbines(Anderson branded I think) w/o any fluff but serviceable for sure. The downside: no extra mags or ammo in the store. The magazines are available from many internet sellers but ammo is a "no go".

hittman

Staff member
If you can buy any AR today for under $600.00 you should maybe pick up several!

Heck, CDNN is now getting something like $900.00 for the basic Ruger AR556 that many of us bought recently for about $525.00 in most places!!

loaded round

Hunter
If you go to an AR15 style rifle, I would consider a flat top model, meaning without a fixed front sight and having a top rib. This way you can mount your choice of sights on your rifle like fold down open sights, a scope, a red dot sight, or any combination of sights. It just makes your personal rifle a lot more practical with your choice of sights.

I picked up a used AR556 the other day for $499. Figured that was a good price even if it needs a little TLC. Has a pretty good brass stain on the case deflector indicating a fair number of rounds fired. Worth the gamble.
It is good to have options for a house gun other than a handgun. I have an AR556, Mossberg 590 .410 tactical and a Rossi 16" 357 carbine. Gotta have options.... and an AR556 would be a good one!

gunzo

Buckeye
The Mini or AR, both fun, handy & IMO an important tool to have in the box.

The Mini wins if a person wants conventional looks & feel. Otherwise, it can't compete with or outdo the AR. Price, ease of maintenance, parts & accessories availability, &, possibly longevity, goes to the AR.

But the real bite in the rear at this time is the doggone ammo prices. Neither gun would be fun to feed. Ammo can be found, lots of it. But small batch prices are about a buck a pop, & up.