Off the wall question: 357 Sig caliber rifle (Arrived!)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm in the market for either a rifle or one of these 'long' barreled pistols with a brace in 357 Sig as a new 'truck gun'.

Two questions:

First: any experience and or recommendations for this?

Second: Is there any that would accept a Sig P226 magazine... seems all the ones I've seen take Glock magazines.... I realize Glock is the popular cat in the house but really this is SIG 357 caliber?

Some back ground .... years ago I switched from 357/38 to 9mm... and in that process discovered what I thought were the ideal self defense weapons for a work vehicle*... those were a Ruger P series pistol in 9mm and a Ruger PC carbine in the same caliber and accepting the same magazines. I even went to the trouble of figuring out how to put a folding stock on the PC carbine.... this is what I have in my daily work van..... but just this past year I decided to go back to '357' and have jumped into that pond whole heartedly... with Sig pistols chambered in 357 Sig... I'd like to have a combination in this caliber in my work van.

*more back ground...and not political just fact. I grew up on a farm ... hunting and shooting.... but spent some time after high school kind of finding myself and not having weapons around and hanging out with a pretty pacifist crowd... still do some of the time... but way back when, I watched a video of the guy in the van during the LA riots being drug out of the window of his vehicle and getting severely beat up and I decided that day that if I ever turned a corner and was confronted with a group who wanted to do that to me the first 3-6 folks that tried it would be very lucky if they lived to regret it. First hand gun purchase was a Colt Trooper in 357 Magnum.

EDITED 11/10/2020: See page 3

9x19

Hunter
I don't know of anyone even making AR carbine (or long pistol) barrels for the .357 Sig.

Getting an AR lower/upper and bolt is easy... for Glock mags of course.

Ruger makes their new PC Carbine in 9mm (barrel) and .40 (bolt) but good luck convincing them to meld that into a .357 Sig.

NikA

Buckeye
You'd need to verify dimensions on samples of the .40 and 9 PC carbines, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 9 barrel fits the .40 receiver properly. From there it'd just be a matter of finding someone with a .357 Sig reamer who's competent enough to rechamber a 9mm barrel.

You could then have someone 3D print you a Sig-compatible mag well.

langenc

Single-Sixer
copied from above--
*more back ground...and not political just fact. I grew up on a farm ... hunting and shooting.... but spent some time after high school kind of finding myself and not having weapons around and hanging out with a pretty pacifist crowd... still do some of the time... but way back when, I watched a video of the guy in the van during the LA riots being drug out of the window of his vehicle and getting severely beat up and I decided that day that if I ever turned a corner and was confronted with a group who wanted to do that to me the first 3-6 folks that tried it would be very lucky if they lived to regret it. First hand gun purchase was a Colt Trooper in 357 Magnum.

Wouldnt recommend in Greenville--definitely not in LA or any part of California..

I won't argue with your decision BUT will present this question: how much are you willing to spend on the project? With the machining capabilities available today, almost anything is possible AT A PRICE.
I'm not aware of any AR based 357 Sig compatible lower modification (most are either Glock or COLT)but I've not been keeping up on some of the more eclectic options. Some of the non-AR options may have SIG magazine capabilities. There are also some mag well inserts that can use (or can be modified to use)the SIG mags.
The 357 SIG from a carbine would be good to 150 yards or so. Since you've used the PC9, you already know how much the longer barrel adds to the 9mm capabilities and I'd expect this to also be true with the 357S. I also toted a KP95 DC and PC9 for years before being forced to downsize the belt gun and switching out the PC9 for something more compact and suppressbile.

Little side info... my 'original' PC 9 is a great rifle... out to 50 yards and is in my opinion a perfect truck gun... for those new here or have not caught my post on this rifle before.... I did a modification to it many years ago.... I modified it to take a folding stock. This took some work but it turned out pretty dern good. It's been so long I really can't remember all I did.. except I know it was a Choate folder for a Mossburg 500 and I believe the pistol grip had to be modified slightly.... I am not a gun smith and I remember while doing it thinking this is crazy because if it does not work out I just ruined a $600+ rifle....

Some of you have mentioned the possibility of combining a 40 cal rifle with a 9mm and just rechambering the barrel to 357 sig.. which is what I actually thought of in the first place... who knows I may look into that one day... but I have to say I did google : "357 Sig Rifle" and not only do a couple places at least claim to make them in an AR design (all using Glock mags of course) but one company out in Oregon makes both a rifle and pistol in this caliber that they call a Survival gun because the barrels on both easily come off. I'm sorely tempted to order the pistol from them which has a 10.5" barrel and brace that looks like it is based on the AR upper (I think we know what that means) What I don't like in this plan is not being able to change magazines between the new 'truck rifle / long pistol" and a regular pistol I also carry in the vehicle like I have currently... PC9 & P89.

If you're going to carry similar looking magazines, by all means keep them is the same caliber. Otherwise just too much chance of mixing things up during a stressful scenario.
My suggestion would be: do some measuring to compare the SIG mag with a GLOCK mag to determine how much diff there really may be. Changing the mag catch location may not be a big deal and most of the polymer GLOCK mags have enough "meat" to stand some shaving on the sides and back. Since many of the pistol grip angles are similar, feeding may not be as much of an issue if the mag catch location is right to place the rounds in front of the bolt properly.

That is something I'm considering Mobuck, I actually did it with Ruger & Sig magazines in 9mm I can cut the side grooves on a Ruger Magazine and they will work in a Sig P226... but putting the square/rectangular hole on the front in a Sig magazine to work in a Ruger is a little harder....

One issue is I can't quite figure out the exact Glock Magazine I need to get.... will do the research I suppose or just bite the bullet so to speak and figure it out when I have the rifle.

Many of the GLOCK mags are designated for different models but are only different in the round count/mag length. The cross section size and catch location are the same. I've been through a similar conundrum while trying to find mags for my AR9 ending up with mags holding 15/17/18/21/33 that all fit the same magwell.

And then if Ruger would get off their lazy butts and make a mag well for the new PC9s that take older P series magazines as well as Sig magazines... still can't figure out why Glocks are so popular.... ugliest damn pistols made. (that last statement would get me banned on the one other forum I'm on)

"Then all one would need to do is insert the Glock magwell and insert Glock 357Sig mags and you should be good to go."
OK but the OP was trying to make this work with SIG magazines to maintain compatibility with his carry pistol. We got off into the GLOCK magazine jungle while attempting to brainstorm a possible magazine modification.

I've never been offended by getting off the original topic.... probably because I often guilty of it.

So, speaking of 'convertible pistols' My Sig P239's can be 9mm, 357sig, or 40 cal.

So, lets keep this kind of Ruger directed for a bit, Say I buy both newer PC9s in 40 cal and 9mm and have the barrel re-chambered to 357 sig, two questions:

(1) Who does this type of re-chambering?

(2) how do I get another rifle out of the left over receiver and stock? Is it possible to just buy the barrel? And if that is so then why not just buy a barrel.... and I guess that begs the real question... will a 9mm barrel fit on a 40 cal receiver?

Sorry, that's really more than two questions.

9x19

Hunter
IF the 1/10 twist of the 9mm barrel is ok with the higher velocities of the .357 Sig, then any gunsmith worth the title should be able to run a chambering reamer in the 9mm barrel... IF the barrel shank has sufficient diameter for the cartridge.

I haven't had a chance to examine a PC carbine in both calibers, and I didn't hold on to my 9mm version long enough to make note of the barrel shank's suitability.

IF you can find someone to sell you just the 9mm barrel, then you could have a dual caliber carbine with just a barrel change from .40 to .357

I will note that TNW claims to use 1/10 twist in their .357 Sig ASRs, so maybe that isn't a concern.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
COSteve said:
blume357 said:
And then if Ruger would get off their lazy butts and make a mag well for the new PC9s that take older P series magazines as well as Sig magazines... still can't figure out why Glocks are so popular.... ugliest damn pistols made. (that last statement would get me banned on the one other forum I'm on)
I'm not so sure I'd agree.

I developed the first ever Glock Convertable 45/10mm longslide in 2004 with a German steel upper I got for my G21. I bought a Jarvis 6" blued steel 45acp barrel and talked Kevin of KKM Precision into making me a one of a kind, 45-10MM conversion barrel for it.

EY6R7KI.jpg

I did some trigger work and put on a better front sight and used it for shooting steel at 200yds with. I think it looked great with it's stainless steel 10mm barrel as a G20L.

1fCs31u.jpg

Later, I figured I do a little USPSA Limited shooting with it so I gave it a magwell and some 'flash'. This is it with the Jarvis barrel as a G21L.

XjP3rcj.jpg
Very nice! I sure like my 10mm long slide

Nice pistol and I recognize my prejudice against Glocks is just that.... probably part of our tribal nature.... got to choose a side even though there is no reason to.

I really don't like carrying a striker fired gun, I do on occasion shoot one of mine for fun and they are pretty... cool. I still remember the gun smith with the big Glock tattoo out at front sight explaining why my Sig P320 is not accurate because of the slight wiggle in the slide.... the next day I shot a perfect score with it.

Now I've wondering if there is a way to convert my older PC9 (truck gun) to 357 sig by my buying and older PC40... putting the receiver of the 40 on the stock of my PC9 and then the barrel after having it modified?

wanderson

Bearcat
I run a Glock g32 (357 Sig) in a RONI brace, it's pretty accurate out to 50 yards for a pistol caliber.
I also run a TNW Aero carbine in 10mm, which is available in .357sig in carbine & pistol form.
My 10mm can be converted to .357sig with a new barrel which is swappable by hand. Bolt & extractor are all the same for .40, .357sig & 10mm. For the medium size Glock mags you can swap in a different lower housing, it's a pretty modular setup.
For p320 .357sig you could either look at one of the braced p320 replacement grip/lower assemblies, or go with an AR setup. There are a few lowers for Sig mags but finding an assembled .357 upper is gonna be tough.
Wolf was teasing a .357sig AR upper but I don't think it came to market.

FWIW I also have a .40 conversion barrel for my gen4 g32. Earlier gen Glocks used the same follower for both calibers but later swapped to different followers for each. My Gen4 .357sig mags would not feed .40 reliably, mostly OK for range use but eventually got a few gen4 .40 followers and made a few 'dedicated' .40 mags that are 100%.

I do not know of anyone making an off the shelf carbine for Sig pistol mags in .357sig caliber. CMMG does an M17 for Sig p320 9mm mags.

Stern Defense makes AR magwell adaptors for several pistol mags, one of them is S&W/Sig 9mm&.40. $200 bucks though, and while the extractor is made of hardened steel, it's not bendable like others so you can't 'adjust' it if it's off.

Latest posts