RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:41 pm 
Bearcat

Recently picked up a new blued/wood stocked Mini 584 series. Took outback today first time out fired 136 rounds in PMC 55gr fmjbt through it. Factory 5,20 & 30 round magazines only approximately round 38 while using a 20 round magazine a fte spent casing on top of live round bolt open cleared the spent casing and flawless function otherwise. Peep sight aperture needed snugged up when cleaning gun up also on side adjustment screw was loose.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:34 pm 
Hawkeye

Wait, you mean someone still makes long guns of blued steel and wood. You'd never guess it by what's advertised these days.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:20 am 
Bearcat

Jeepnik wrote:
Wait, you mean someone still makes long guns of blued steel and wood. You'd never guess it by what's advertised these days.

Last few long guns I’ve bought all have wood/blued setup! Should I be concerned about the one fte outta 136? Ruger said most likely a hiccup ammo related.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:33 pm 
Bearcat

Should I be concerned about the one fte outta 136 rounds? Thanks, Ruger said most likely hiccup ammo related.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:21 pm 
Hunter

PMC is not quite as hot as other brands of .223, which I like. You may want to try 5.56 ammo if possible.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 am 
Single-Sixer

You should be concerned, but not overly. If it keeps doing it I would send it back to Ruger. If it only did it once or twice during break in with only one type of ammo, no worries. If you do have repeated problems and have to send it in, they will take care of you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:57 pm 
Bearcat

Appreciate the feedback. Took outback for a second time ran 24 rounds through 6 mags 2 rounds in each mag twice had a failure to feed midway through on 30rnd magazine same PMC ammo. Called Ruger told them said send it in so away it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:50 pm 
Single-Sixer

They do a good job. I’ve had to send several things back and they have always taken care of the problem for no charge. It stinks to send something back but better safe than sorry. Probably a bad extractor, but they has the resources to throw parts at it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:42 am 
Single-Sixer

cjcutter1 wrote:
Should I be concerned about the one fte outta 136 rounds? Thanks, Ruger said most likely hiccup ammo related.

Nothing is 100%, 100% of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:34 pm 
Single-Sixer

I likely would have tried a couple of different brands of ammo just to see if it was that.

But in the end, I'm sure Ruger will take care of you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:56 pm 
Bearcat

Mini was gone totally of twelve days door to door. Ruger replaced the ejector and adjusted the bolt and charging handle. Function safety tested and cleaned as well as fired 40 rounds of American Eagle 223 55gr and 20 rounds of ICC 45gr green tip elite. Hopefully this does the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:35 am 
Hawkeye

I guess what you need to do is load the same PMC ammo in that 30 round magazine and see what happens... I'm willing to bet $5 it will do the same thing.

now, I could be wrong... I was once before... but it was a long time ago.

the real question is did the folks at Ruger shoot the rifle and have the same problem before they did the work on it?

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:04 pm 
Bearcat

blume357 wrote:
I guess what you need to do is load the same PMC ammo in that 30 round magazine and see what happens... I'm willing to bet $5 it will do the same thing.

now, I could be wrong... I was once before... but it was a long time ago.

the real question is did the folks at Ruger shoot the rifle and have the same problem before they did the work on it?

Please elaborate are you hinting at the ammo is the culprit? The gun? Or they just replaced and adjusted a few parts without first test firing? I’m genuinely curious as you’re thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:55 pm 
Hawkeye

cjcutter1 wrote:

Please elaborate are you hinting at the ammo is the culprit? The gun? Or they just replaced and adjusted a few parts without first test firing? I’m genuinely curious as you’re thoughts.

Okay, I'll share an opinion. :mrgreen:

3 unidentified failures out of 150+ rounds? I don't expect Ruger would shoot any where near that quantity trying to duplicate the failures. So, I would greatly expect they'd replace some possible items, return the gun to you, and hope for the best.

If it was mine, and I had 3-hiccups with a new gun, I'd keep trying, and see if I could isolate the symptoms. And that's not to say you should do what I do. But I don't think Ruger could have sorted out the problem unless there was a really obvious problem with the part(s) they replaced or (adjusted?).

Although it could have been an ammo related problem, I would not suggest it is that just because of the PMC brand. If it was a batch of out of spec ammo, then yes. Otherwise, as overgassed as a Mini 14 is, they'll generally function with anything, hot to mild.

I've returned some guns to Ruger over the years, and in most cases they've sent a list of corrective actions and parts replaced. And in most cases, they've replaced parts that were not necessarily part of the problem.

They just start somewhere, and hope they correct the problem.

I certainly hope what they did took care of it, but again, they likely were also shooting in the dark. 8)

Good luck and keep us posted. If you continue to encounter the problem, don't spend a ton on large quantities of ammo, but do try a different brand, lot, whatever. Now, the ball would be in their court.

I do love my Mini's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:45 am 
Bearcat

WAYNO wrote:
cjcutter1 wrote:

Okay, I'll share an opinion. :mrgreen:

3 unidentified failures out of 150+ rounds? I don't expect Ruger would shoot any where near that quantity trying to duplicate the failures. So, I would greatly expect they'd replace some possible items, return the gun to you, and hope for the best.

If it was mine, and I had 3-hiccups with a new gun, I'd keep trying, and see if I could isolate the symptoms. And that's not to say you should do what I do. But I don't think Ruger could have sorted out the problem unless there was a really obvious problem with the part(s) they replaced or (adjusted?).

Although it could have been an ammo related problem, I would not suggest it is that just because of the PMC brand. If it was a batch of out of spec ammo, then yes. Otherwise, as overgassed as a Mini 14 is, they'll generally function with anything, hot to mild.

I've returned some guns to Ruger over the years, and in most cases they've sent a list of corrective actions and parts replaced. And in most cases, they've replaced parts that were not necessarily part of the problem.

They just start somewhere, and hope they correct the problem.

I certainly hope what they did took care of it, but again, they likely were also shooting in the dark. 8)

Good luck and keep us posted. If you continue to encounter the problem, don't spend a ton on large quantities of ammo, but do try a different brand, lot, whatever. Now, the ball would be in their court.

I do love my Mini's.

Thank you I appreciate the feedback. It was two hiccups out of 160 rounds total of PMC one failure to extract spend round the second a failure to feed strip round from magazine both with bolt open two different factory magazines a 20 &30 rnd.