PC carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ok, making some progress with the carbine. Turns out it really likes the Lee 358-125-RF, and either .357 or .358 sizing works. With 3.8 grains IMR Target seated to 1.030 it shoots about the same as the 4.7 grains IMR Target/115 grain jacketed that I have been using. The 358-125-RF works great in longer barrels. It has a longer bearing surface than most and I fill the top crimp groove with lube so the bore gets coated well. This is makes sense, as my Marlin .357 also shoots great with this bullet. Guess I better start looking for a six cavity version!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I shot the carbine some more yesterday, and had some pretty terrible groups. The trigger is rather stiff, and I think it is pulling me off target if I don't perform a perfect squeeze. This is already difficult with arthritis in my dominant hand. Now that the weather is turning sour, I think I will drop off the carbine at the gunsmith for a trigger job.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Picked up the carbine from the smith, it now has a very nice 4 pound pull. Unfortunately, the accuracy woes are still there. Perfect weather yesterday with little wind and mild temperatures. At 50 yards my reloads with the Lee 358-125-RF, which shoot great in all my handguns, were absolutely terrible. Some rounds aimed at one 16x16 target would strike the other one next to it!

Went back inside and cleaned the bore really good, found zero leading or other issues. Went back out and put 5 rounds each of three different types of factory rounds through it as a baseline. Accuracy improved to roughly minute of bad guy with 4" groups but nothing more. At 50 yards with quality factory ammo I don't think a 2" group is too much to ask for. So, back to Ruger it goes. They sent me a shipping label so hopefully it will come back fixed soon. I have read that some of these carbines have needed new barrels.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I got my carbine back, and it's now shooting great with factory 115 grain FMJ. Still needs some work with lead bullet reloads though. Another thing I discovered is that the Williams WGRS aperture holder is a perfect fit on the OEM rear sight, and is threaded to take different apertures. The original aperture is way too big for anything past 25 yards.

timboy

Bearcat
Glad they got it straightned out for you,Ruger is uaually top notch with customer service.
Was the trigger job a re work of the factory trigger components or an aftermarket replacement?

Latest posts