I went to the bank yesterday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I even remembered to leave my pistol in the pickup. Grouch Attack sent a deposit to the bank in a cute little zipper bag which I did not open and had no idea what was inside(checks/cash/Nigerian script). As I approached the counter one of the tellers recognized me and waved me over. I jokingly commented that I was only the messenger and held no responsibility for the contents. The teller at the adjacent window said "Well we're not shooting messengers today". I replied "That's good since I shoot back". Her eyes went wide but the girl in front of me just said "AMEN to that" and continued counting the deposit. I'm sure she'd already noticed the empty holster.
This isn't the 'Wild West' but definitely trending toward an armed society.

I'm usually in the bank once or twice every month. It's the best way to get the month's accumulated cash into Grouch Attack's business account. Not like being dragged through a cactus patch at all.

LDB

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
THAT would have been 'uncomfortable' to say the least. I'd already groped it to make sure I wasn't being put in such a bad spot.
Just as bad a joker at work putting in a note saying fill it up the rest of the way.

I recently went to the bank to get $12,000 in cash. You'd have thought I was trying to rob the place. I finally got $10,000. I had to go to another brach to get the other $2000. And then from a different account.

You'd have thought I was committing a crime. They said I needed to advise them in advance to make large cash withdrawals.

I usually keep a fairly good amount in an account for emergencies. Now it makes very, very little interest. So, I advised the bank I wanted to close the account and was notifying them I would need the cash in two days.

Upon my return to the bank they gave me a run around insisting they only did checks or electronic transfers for that amount. After threats of contacting the feds they relented a told me they took no responsibility after I left the bank.

The cash is now safely stored and immediately accessible.

Jeepnik, I think it's extremely reasonable, and vigilant to have a reasonable amount of cash on hand for emergencies. However, government doesn't seem to agree with us. They want to know what happens to virtually any dollar you spend or have. It's about control. Gives concerns about them taking money at some point out of our accounts.

Big government has proposed rule that would require banks, credit unions and other cash transaction accounts to report any transaction of $600 in a year to the IRS.

https://townsquaredelaware.com/proposed-u-s-rule-would-force-reporting-of-all-accounts-of-600-or-more/#:~:text=A%20federal%20proposal%20that%20would,drawing%20fire%20from%20financial%20institutions. I have a serious problem with that. We'll see what happens.

Really, Im sure there is some kind of red flag over that 12 grand. I was watching some cop show a good number of years ago and they pulled over an older middle aged man and asked if they could search his car.... he had something like that in his trunk. He explained he was headed to some city to buy a tow truck... they confiscated the money and I think took him in too. Heck, here in S.C. you can get arrested for carrying copper or stainless steel in your truck.... which I do often with out the government permit.

"You'd have thought I was committing a crime. "
If you made transactions exceeding $10K w/o filling out whatever that Federal money laundering form is, you did commit a crime. Especially if you thwarted the requirement by going to a different branch to do so.

Here in anti-gun Illinois it is perfectly legal for me to carry in a bank, unless the bank itself has decided to ban guns. I rarely go to the bank, but likely will be going today to pick up coin rolls. I have a container full to the brim, and have been told that neither of the banks I deal with will take unrolled coins. I refuse to pay 11% at the coin machine in my supermarket. But when I go to the bank I will be armed in case a thief tries to steal the paper rolls before I get home to use them.

• Haha
Reactions: jav
Mobuck said:
"You'd have thought I was committing a crime. "
If you made transactions exceeding $10K w/o filling out whatever that Federal money laundering form is, you did commit a crime. Especially if you thwarted the requirement by going to a different branch to do so.

Yeah, that $10K number waves all kinds of federal red flags. Couple of years ago I was buying a truck and needed to move some money from one account to another, in excess of the $10K figure. Went into the bank to do this. It was only because I've had accounts there for a zillion years and know all the employees on a first-name basis that the transaction went smoothly . . . and that I wasn't needing the full amount in cash. :roll:

Funniest thing . . . the dealer didn't have the slightest problem accepting my check to close the deal. Yeah, they probably checked with my bank while we were doing paperwork. :wink:

LDB

Bearcat
vito said:
I refuse to pay 11% at the coin machine in my supermarket. But when I go to the bank I will be armed in case a thief tries to steal the paper rolls before I get home to use them.

They used to give you 100% if you chose a certain option, often Amazon gift code but whatever that particular one partnered with.

vito said:
I refuse to pay 11% at the coin machine in my supermarket. But when I go to the bank I will be armed in case a thief tries to steal the paper rolls before I get home to use them.

I've used Federal Credit Unions for years. For one thing they can transfer funds from one to another. I am still a member in Alaska, and can move money back and forth. They also have a coin machine and they give you 100% of your money. I don't trust big banks for sure.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
I'm usually in the bank once or twice every month. It's the best way to get the month's accumulated cash into Grouch Attack's business account. Not like being dragged through a cactus patch at all.

Or the wife put a note in the bag saying something along the lines of "This is a robbery. I have a gun. Fill the bag full of large unmarked bills and nobody gets hurt". :D

Side joke and a true one about notes.

My father was the substitute mail carrier for our rural community when I was growing up.... regular guy, who was a friend of the family, was out sick one day.... so my father ran the route and about mid morning was when we got our mail and of course he came in and ate breakfast my mother had fixed for him.... Next day the regular guy was back on his route and knocked at the back door.. Seems the note my mother had left in the mail box the day before was still there.. my father had not checked the box but just came up to the house... the note our regular mail man was holding said.. " come on up, I've got it hot and ready for you honey!"

As a 3rd generation 'postal worker', that's FUNNY as heck. Good thing I wasn't sipping coffee or I'd have snorted it everywhere.
Over the years, I found a fair number of grocery lists, reminder notes, and other 'more personal' notes that had been left in mailboxes with the outgoing letters. Back when POLAROID cameras were popular, one woman apparently wanting hubby to know she was 'in the mood' slipped a 'selfie' picture somewhere expecting he would find it. Well, it ended up in the outgoing mail and the female rural carrier was NOT impressed.

Latest posts