RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:06 pm 
Hawkeye

May as well take advantage of freedom to open carry. With all the concern about mask/no mask not many folks paying attention to those of us who carry our gun outside our pants. On the flip side, I was in WalMart yesterday to pick up some odds and ends when this middle aged female rolled her cart in front of me and commented "I see you have a GUN. What are you afraid of?" I couldn't resist and replied "I see you have your mask. Are you afraid you might inhale something or were you planning to rob the store?" She snorted and stomped off as loudly as flip flops would allow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:17 pm 
Hawkeye

Or another reply is. "I have my gun, I'm not afraid of anything."

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:02 am 
Hawkeye

It will be interesting to see what happens here in S.C. after August 15th. I think that is the date when open carry will be legal, but to only those with a concealed weapons permit.....

Oh I did see a new sign on my wife's bank... it said, "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" I was temped to go in and ask if that meant it was okay to walk in with a full size rifle or shotgun? In fact in S.C. the only firearms that are legally concealable are hand guns less than 12" long, if I remember correctly one of the questions on the test I took 16 years ago.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:11 am 
Hawkeye

"No Concealable Weapons Allowed"
Years ago I walked into my local bank to make a deposit. The envelope containing the check was unopened and as a normal action, I whipped out my pocket knife to open the envelope. The cashier hissed "Put that away, I'll open it for you" and then I realized I was on "candid camera". Not really a big deal since the majority of customers entering the bank were farmers/carpenters/mechanics who had knives, screwdrivers, or any number of other "dangerous items".
Once, I noted a local area business woman who was open carrying in the bank. Either acceptable or overlooked by the bank staff.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:17 pm 
Hawkeye

I can't remember walking into the credit union I use without a gun. Concealed of course, so no reason for them to get their bowels in an uproar. They have had a bank robbery in the last year. Not sure if they ever caught the guy.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:16 am 
Hawkeye

Before this latest mess of a 'gun' bill here in S.C., the only signage that was legal was a specific one that was difficult to make and get just right... now it seems since open carry will be legal for anyone with a permit any type of signage is legal.... some speculation of the problems have been 'pronounced' on both sides of the fence.

CSIA #599 DCS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:54 am 
Hunter

No legal open carry here in Illinois. I doubt that i would open carry even if it were made legal, at least not until I saw lots of folks doing it. One person open carrying is a target, multiple people open carrying would likely deter any criminal from acting. I do wish, however, that I had that option.

-"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will soon be plowing for those that didn't."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm 
Hunter

It is legal here if one has a Georgia Weapons License. I very seldom do though. About the only time I open carry is if I'm on my way to or from the woods. I haven't hunted in a while though. Thinking I might try to get back into it some.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:21 am 
Hawkeye

The local trend is similar to a roller coaster. MO has always been an OC legal state (and the 'open' part was blurry). Right after the concealed carry for all passed, lots of folks were packing in every sort of manner. Everyone wanted to ride that train but lately, not so much. What I have noticed is very few people notice one way or the other as long as you're not playing the cowboy gunfighter role. An open but discreetly carried handgun gets little or no notice.
Due to the bum shoulder, I carry in a crossdraw outside the belt holster. This is fairly discreet and usually hidden by my left forearm as I'm pushing a shopping cart or holding something in my hands. Dressing neatly and presenting a respectable appearance goes as far as anything. People who know me already expect that I'm packing whether they can see it or not.
Son's joints are more flexible than mine so he often carries with an inside the waist tuckable holster. I even have to look twice to tell he's packing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:40 pm 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
Dressing neatly and presenting a respectable appearance goes as far as anything. People who know me already expect that I'm packing whether they can see it or not.

That's me too.

Mike J, I actually open carried twice over the weekend in Georgia.... just because it was easier. Ended up having to stay at a Red Roof Inn in Augusts (not recommended*) because the wife and I had our dogs with us.... and the friend we were going to stay with AC went out, So I carried open once to go out for a quick walk I realized I had not covered up and the other time I did not have my suit coat on when we came back from my Aunt's 90th birthday party and I had to juggle the two pooches to get them in the room.

*room at the Red Ruff Inn was acceptable for the price (dirt cheap by our standards)... but the exterior grounds were trash.... thousands of cigarette butts, lots of beer cans (mostly Bud Lite.. "spit") and also chicken bones everywhere in the bushes... which made walking my two hounds a chore. But it was quiet both Friday and Saturday nights and so it's hard to really complain.

CSIA #599 DCS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:57 pm 
Hunter

blume357 wrote:
Mobuck wrote:
Dressing neatly and presenting a respectable appearance goes as far as anything. People who know me already expect that I'm packing whether they can see it or not.

That's me too.

Mike J, I actually open carried twice over the weekend in Georgia.... just because it was easier. Ended up having to stay at a Red Roof Inn in Augusts (not recommended*) because the wife and I had our dogs with us.... and the friend we were going to stay with AC went out, So I carried open once to go out for a quick walk I realized I had not covered up and the other time I did not have my suit coat on when we came back from my Aunt's 90th birthday party and I had to juggle the two pooches to get them in the room.

*room at the Red Ruff Inn was acceptable for the price (dirt cheap by our standards)... but the exterior grounds were trash.... thousands of cigarette butts, lots of beer cans (mostly Bud Lite.. "spit") and also chicken bones everywhere in the bushes... which made walking my two hounds a chore. But it was quiet both Friday and Saturday nights and so it's hard to really complain.

I don't get up that way much now but there was a Red Roof Inn near where I grew up in Forest Park. A lot of stuff went on there. I was in & out of there some when I was young & dumb.

One cool thing about open carry being legal is that if you unintentionally expose your carry it isn't a crime. I just usually cover up because I don't like attention. I kind of try to be the gray man but my wife tells me I fail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:00 am 
Hawkeye

Mike J wrote:
One cool thing about open carry being legal is that if you unintentionally
expose your carry it isn't a crime. I just usually cover up because I don't like
attention. I kind of try to be the gray man but my wife tells me I fail.

Do be careful. Places like CO get upset if you go from OC to CC or the other way,
while people can see you. STUPID quirk in the law, but worth being aware of.

~ The only time success comes before work, is in the dictionary.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:23 pm 
Hunter

Pat-inCO wrote:
Mike J wrote:
One cool thing about open carry being legal is that if you unintentionally
expose your carry it isn't a crime. I just usually cover up because I don't like
attention. I kind of try to be the gray man but my wife tells me I fail.

Do be careful. Places like CO get upset if you go from OC to CC or the other way,
while people can see you. STUPID quirk in the law, but worth being aware of.

it isn't that way here but now you've got me trying to figure out the reasoning behind that law.

Edited to add: When I wrote my wife tells me I fail I didn't mean failing at concealment. She tells me I fail at being the gray man.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:12 am 
Hawkeye

"Do be careful. Places like CO get upset if you go from OC to CC or the other way,while people can see you. STUPID quirk in the law, but worth being aware of."
I'm not sure of the 'why' for this but it is an interesting quirk.
Several years back, I was involved in a 'could have been serious' concealed carry wardrobe malfunction that left a lasting impression on how NOT to carry concealed. I was in Walmart w/Grouch Attack on a late evening grocery run. She was moping along behind me pushing the cart as we took a shortcut through the automotive area. When I turned into an aisle, a fairly large guy was reaching for a gas can on the top shelf. As he did so, his sweatshirt hiked up revealing a snubby revolver in a holster clipped to the waistband of his sweat pants. I immediately tried to reverse but GA bashed into me from the rear. The other guy turned toward us as he made a grab at his snubby(maybe he thought the weight of the gun was pulling his sweatpants down) . Now what??? I had my hand on the P95 and was starting to draw as the guy realized this wasn't going well and froze.
Don't be this guy. Carry your piece securely and safely whether it's inside or outside your pants.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:57 am 
Hunter

Around here, OC has become so common that it is a total non-issue as long as you aren't at a place where it is illegal or people would otherwise be upset about it. I still conceal because it's nobody's darn business if I'm carrying.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB