I'm surprised you have a round chambered

Help Support Ruger Forum:

volshooter, you are correct.
The Taurus has the safety only because that was what PSA had available and sent rather than BO or cancel my order. I'd have to "re-learn" to carry with a safety ON.

RSIno1

Hunter
I think a lot of peoples perception on carrying a gun comes from TV. Every good guy and bad guy always has to rack the slide whenever the gun comes out.

nawagner

Bearcat
I think some of this comes from when a person was first and how they were first taught gun safety. For example when I first learned the carry guns, and people carrying were not nearly as prevalent as they are today. So we were taught to never carry a gun around loaded or with a bullet in the chamber until we were ready to fire. Both guns and teaching evolved and now it's considered acceptable to carry with one in the chamber, by most. There are still a few that may not have been as immersed in the gun world and have not kept up with current practices. Especially now with the popularity of guns rising, there are a number of people who may have been taught and had some interaction with guns in the past and are now coming back.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Obviously you guys are talking about heavy double action trigger pulls. If anyone is carrying a 1911 or other light, short trigger pull single actions I dont want to be near you when you shoot yourself in the leg. Or worse shoot me.

have to disagree.... the 1911 is designed to be carried with one in the chamber and the hammer cocked and THE SAFETY ON... the pistol is designed so that one can draw and flipped the safety down with your strong hand's thumb. Not my cup of tea but it is practical, fast and safe with the right training.... (actually the real secret to carrying any handgun.

Luckily I've never been in a real life situation where the use of a handgun fast (or slow) was needed. But I'm sure somewhere in this thread I've told about the force on force classes I've taken where you are thrown into a situation where you have less than a second to determine what to do. Believe me when I say that racking the slide to chamber a round is not where you want to be when a bad guy (or gal) is shooting the place up and you are next in line. Proper training is the key and I think that is what is missing in most instances where there is an accidental discharge.

I am are talking about self defense on this topic the TV and movie stuff about getting out of a car or stepping outside and racking the slide is SO wrong, but looks cool. Folks there is a big difference in entertainment and real life events. That's why training is very important.
I remember reading on here about a persons idea to confront intruders was stepping outside and than racking a shotgun slide. I cannot think of a better way to get yourself shot. Well maybe stepping outside to confront intruders and yelling into the dark, "I got a gun." That maybe just as stupid and have the same ending.

Speaking of TV... I was watching a program on Public Television last night... one of those British made mysteries about what might have actually happened during the week that Agatha Christy went missing and there was a scene where a woman had a 1911 and was told to unload it... I was amazed that they actually showed her release and drop the magazine and then rack the slide and eject the round from the chamber..... she had been a nurse during the second world war and made the comment the soldiers liked to show off their guns.... it is odd, especially in a British program, to see proper gun handling.

Much better than the episode of Foyle's War where a drunk soldier is in a bar waving his pistol around and Sam talks him into giving it to her and she then says it was no big deal because it was not loaded... no way for her to know this.. and then she pulls the trigger and the gun goes off.

RSIno1

Hunter
You see a lot of AD reports on Glocks when the dummies still had their finger on the trigger when they tried to shove the gun back in their holster. Same mentality didn't have a problem with DA revolvers because triggers were harder to pull and they realized their finger was in the way.

blume357 said:
I often make the comment on this forum as well as others that I don't understand or wish to own a pistol with the extra little metal tab on the back that has to be flipped to show the red dot in order to fire... really don't understand the function of it. I do own three pistols with a safety... two are "safely" stored away and the third is a Ruger Mark III and I don't believe I've ever flipped the safety on on it... don't know if it even works....

To each his own. Personal experience proved the 1911 to be quite adequate. The safety was no impediment to the function of the pistol when it was needed most. Later while using a Browning Hi Power I found no issues with it's safety either. I did switch back to a 1911. While I liked the BHP's capacity, I found the 9mm fmj of the day wanting.

I have a couple of glocks. I notice my first shot with a 1911 tends to be just as fast and more near my point of aim than with the glock 30. Then again, I'm a believer in the first shot being the most important, not the magazine capacity.

RSIno1,
When my dept. went to the Glock 17 back in 1991. All instructor's of course had several days of training by folks from the company. Back than the head guy warned us about ADs. At the time he quoted how many cops in the US had shot themselves. It was not from finger on trigger when holstering so much as improper take down for cleaning. Rookies would remove the mag fine, but fail to clear the chamber. Then pull the trigger. At that point in time he said more Glocks had shot cops while being cleaned than in gun fights. We had to have the New York triggers installed on on Glocks for about 2 years. It was supposed to be similar in pull to a double action revolver. It sucked and really many shooters had problems with accuracy, so the NY triggers went away. We were lucky in the 6 years after that no ADs from fail to clear the chamber before cleaning and none while holstering. Some ADs did happen due to finger on trigger at the range and moving before time to fire. But, happened with revolvers, shotguns and rifles also. After that I was out of the loop and it may have happened.

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
A weapon, without a chambered round, is like Barney Fife, carrying his single bullet in his shirt pocket! Not a good practice! Overloadded

Mike J

Hunter
blume357 said:
The 1911 being a single action semi-auto is designed to be carried with the hammer cocked and the safety on.... one's thumb flips the safety down while taking aim. What I was referring to is DA/SA semi autos with a safety.

DA/SA semi-auto's with backwards slide mounted safeties have always felt awkward to me. It was what pretty much pushed me away from my old P-series Ruger. If it had been decock-only I might still carry it.

I'm an old codger and really am not 100% comfortable with striker fired pistols... I have several and even one as a security device in my work vehicle... but as for carrying one.... So far I've decided to stick with good old DA/SA decock only.....

The average person when holding a handgun will sweep it around and point it at you or others.... often they will also have their finger on the trigger because it is just natural to do it. I was like this for years.... it takes a good bit of training to break away from it. Of course in that training is also when a 'knowledgeable' gun owner first clears their weapon before handing it to you the first thing you do when you have it is to re-check to make absolutely sure it is clear. I've bought a number of pistols off the internet as of late and the first thing the employee at my FFL does is check to make sure the chamber is clear and the gun is unloaded before they let me look at it and I watch them do this and then I do the same thing. It is the right and 'polite' thing to do. I hope it impresses them and I suspect they see more of the opposite.

Here is Eddie Murphy et al in gunfight at Mr Maitland's. Who taught Rosewood to stand up and identify himself in a gunfight? :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad5ZJcmYc_k
Enjoy
gramps

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
kmoore said:
How many manual safeties are on say the standard double action revolver? That many people carried for decades and used in the military, police, hunting, self defense, target shooting. Those handguns worked pretty damn well with out the need to flip/ push/ pull on and off a manual safety before pulling the trigger.
And my gosh, they had a round ready to go with that pull of the trigger.
It's all about training and proper safe gun handling.

I am one of the guys who still carries a revolver! :shock: