RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:46 am 
Hunter

While I certainly own more than one gun, I have never carried more than one. Any of the guns that I carry are ones that I have confidence in the functioning properly if needed. But between a wallet, keys, cell phone, pocket knife and one gun, I’m already pretty well loaded down. This all came to mind while earlier on the extended road trip that I am on, I got into a conversation with my neighbor at the RV park where we stopped for the night in Nebraska. His tow vehicle was covered with gun related stickers so I stated that he sure was telling the world he was a “ gun guy”.

This new acquaintance then proudly told me that he loved guns, and always carried at least two,”just in case”. I remarked about the “at least two” statement, and he then showed he the three guns he had on him that moment. He had a Glock 19 on his belt, an LCP in a pocket holster, and a snubbie on his ankle, and added he carried an extra mag for each of the semi’s. I laughed and said I’m amazed that his pants stay up. I’ll admit I felt almost unarmed with just my LC9s in my pocket, almost.

Made me wonder.

-"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will soon be plowing for those that didn't."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:57 pm 
Hawkeye

I can't remember EVER packing 2 handguns. I suppose there is some logic under certain circumstances but I'll stick with one gun and more ammo. If that seems inadequate, I'll go with a long gun to accompany the handgun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:23 pm 
Hawkeye

I don't ROUTINELY carry more than one gun. UNLESS I'm traveling. When I'm traveling I've been known to travel with up to three guns, and considering more. People that carry tend to also be proficient at dealing with "what if" scenarios. If you don't do that how can you predetermine what you would do "if" something goes wrong. When you are traveling, help is typically farther away than if you are wondering around in town, the mall, the grocery store, who knows where. Even though I mostly carry a semi-auto, that is "known to be reliable" that does't mean the next round that is supposed to feed (typically) may not and now creates a problem. I also typically agree with Clint Smith...One is none, two is one, and three is just about right. In other words if you are only carrying one and it goes down, you are now at none. If you are carrying two and one goes down, you have the option of a "New York reload". Options are a good thing.
If you leave your wife in the car, truck, RV, what ever while you run into the truck stop for a necessary restroom visit, and get held up, the one gun you have is with you, and you are the least threatened of anyone on your trip.
Just some thoughts. When I totaled my truck last year on a long dark highway, the sheriffs officer that came out to help, was certainly surprised that I had three guns, but waiting for hours for a tow truck, we had plenty to talk about. He was sure he needed a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special like I had.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:30 pm 
Hawkeye

I often carry more than one gun.

A formidable revolver or pistol on my waist, and instead of a reload, I carry a mouse pistol in my shirt pocket.

And a third in my vehicle when I take a road trip. Could be a big revolver or a small rifle. Depending on if I'm headed either urban or rural dictates the selection. During hunting season it could be a fourth, or more. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:17 am 
Hawkeye

Just one.... now I do have more than one in my work vehicle as well as when headed out of town.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:56 am 
Buckeye

I do not talk about such things. But, if I did one is none, 2 is one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:00 pm 
Single-Sixer

In my daily travels I only have one. If my wife and I go on a trip I'll have two, one to arm her with if we have to be separated. If venturing far out in sparsely populated areas with no cell signal I have slipped my Marlin lever action .357 into the truck "just in case".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:13 pm 
Buckeye

Interestingly, NM's concealed carry statute prohibits carrying more than one permitted firearm concealed. I have no idea why or whether anyone has every been prosecuted (I suspect not).

When traveling or in a situation where assistance is likely to be unavailable, I almost always have a long gun available in addition to a handgun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:04 pm 
Hawkeye

I've mentioned before I have a cool little horizontal holster for my NAA Mini. It rides on the belt. No matter what else I may have it always rides there.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:04 pm 
Single-Sixer

Here lately Beretta PX4 and LCP.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:27 pm 
Single-Sixer

Absolutely, and more than one pocket knife.