Page 1 of 1

Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:17 pm
by diyj98
I just picked up an old model Single Six with two cylinders. The serial number is in the 415XXX range. Am I correct that it was probably a 22WMR only gun made in 1966?

Re: Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:13 pm
by Fox Mike
The 'Magnum only' were in the serial number 30001- 394740 range. Yours seems to be a convertible from 1965 (409921-434540)

Re: Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:16 pm
by rugerguy
looking in my 'RENE' guide it shows it was made in 1965.......and if the cylinders "match" serial number to that gun, it was most likely a convertible....the "magnum" marked guns came out in 1959 thru 1964, and the later ones were convertibles...they say a letter from the factory will designate what is actually made and shipped as...or if you have the box, as well as the cardboard shipping sleeve,,its all on there......
8) :roll: :wink:

Re: Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:41 pm
by diyj98
I was basing the "magnum only" on Ruger's website https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/ But after cleaning the front of the cylinder, both are matching to the revolver serial.

Re: Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:47 pm
by diyj98
It currently has a set of Jay Scott imitation stag grips on it. I'd like to put the correct grips on it. I'm assuming they would be walnut with a black eagle?

Re: Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:48 pm
by Fox Mike
diyj98 wrote:I was basing the "magnum only" on Ruger's website https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/ But after cleaning the front of the cylinder, both are matching to the revolver serial.
Just as an information only suggestion, the Ruger site, though from Ruger, is not as accurate as the information found in the Red Eagle News Exchange (RENE).

Re: Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm
by Ale-8(1)
diyj98 wrote:It currently has a set of Jay Scott imitation stag grips on it. I'd like to put the correct grips on it. I'm assuming they would be walnut with a black eagle?
Yup. :mrgreen:

Re: Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm
by street
Ruger usually uses a number to show the barrel length of a Single-Six.
RSS4 for a 4 5/8 in. bl.
RSS5 for a 5 1/2 in. bl.
RSS9 for a 9 1/2 in. bl.

In 1959 when Ruger came out with the Single-Six with a 6 1/2 in. bl. instead of calling it a RSS6, they call it a RSSM as that gun was only made in a .22 Mag. The M stands for Magnum. After they started making in in a convertible they still called it a RSSM. So all 6 1/2 in Single-Sixes on the Ruger serial number web site are listed as magnum, even though most are convertibles.

Re: Single Six date of manufacture

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:08 pm
by diyj98
street wrote:Ruger usually uses a number to show the barrel length of a Single-Six.
RSS4 for a 4 5/8 in. bl.
RSS5 for a 5 1/2 in. bl.
RSS9 for a 9 1/2 in. bl.

In 1959 when Ruger came out with the Single-Six with a 6 1/2 in. bl. instead of calling it a RSS6, they call it a RSSM as that gun was only made in a .22 Mag. The M stands for Magnum. After they started making in in a convertible they still called it a RSSM. So all 6 1/2 in Single-Sixes on the Ruger serial number web site are listed as magnum, even though most are convertibles.
Your post had me thinking, but I dug it back out of the safe and it's a 5 1/2".