Price of a .22 Cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
Or you might give Ruger a call and see if they'll fit a new one for you.

I realize you asked about a used one, but just for the sake of information . . . :D

Called Ruger,
They are only doing warranty work and they will not sell me a cylinder.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you shop for a Ruger mag cyl recognize that not all will fit your gun!

You must confirm that the overall length is the same as your 22 LR cyl or slightly longer so it can be fit to your gun.

And you don't need a new model cyl, they're the same as old models, except the flutes on some of course, but that doesn't matter they'll work.

Does your current mag cyl have front to back play?

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
If you shop for a Ruger mag cyl recognize that not all will fit your gun!
You must confirm that the overall length is the same as your 22 LR cyl or slightly longer so it can be fit to your gun.
And you don't need a new model cyl, they're the same as old models, except the flutes on some of course, but that doesn't matter they'll work.
Does your current mag cyl have front to back play?

Thank you,
Yes, I know it must be fit and about the measurements.
I can fit that part of the cylinder, but do not know how to fix timing.
The current mag cylinder has .003 cylinder gap and .002 end shake.
Lockup is great.
I used my endoscope and the timing is a off, I kind of figured it might be since I got shrapnel
in the face when fired.
I would prefer a NM cylinder as I like the smooth instead of fluting.

Since you found one and it fits and works well, should we be worried that a new cylinder will be off enough to cause damage over time or should we assume Ruger consistancy is so good it will likely be fine?
I have an 8-shot NM 22 LR cylinder which is advertised as drop-in, no fitting required for any NM, but do not use in any OM. I haven't tried it yet.
Should we be more concerned with mag than LR?

contender

Ruger Guru
BrassMagnet,, WELCOME! I recognize you from the CB forum!

I'll try & answer your questions.
Ruger made cylinders have historically been "in time" across the spectrum,, model specific. A .22LR/.22 Mag in 6 shot work just fine in 6 shot guns. An 8 shot, 9 shot, or 10 shot has a different timing throw,, so I'd think they wouldn't fit a different model. I COULD BE WRONG,, as I've never tried to swap one around to check.
But in general, if you get a cylinder to fit the window,, it will time as long as it's of the same model.
HOWEVER,, I always double check alignment with a range rod prior to any shooting. Never had any not time up correctly. I buy any & all spare Ruger cylinders when I find them in good shape at reasonable prices.
And not just .22's,, I have found extra cylinders in most all the SA revolver calibers. (still looking for a few oddballs such as 38-40, 44-40, etc.)

hittman

Staff member
I found a 22 Mag cylinder in a very nice original box yesterday for $75.00.

I should maybe go back and buy it even though I don't need it.