Left Handed 10/22 . . . MERGED THREADS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I assume the left handed option will spread to other variations. Isn't that logical? Wasn't the real impediment to making this rifle the left handed magazine, and all the confusion/liability issues it might cause?

RSIno1

Hunter
wolfee said:
..... left handed magazine, and all the confusion/liability issues it might cause?

I'm certain the lawyers figured out a warning to stamp on the barrel along with the other paragraph of text. The only problem is they are getting so many warnings etched/stamped/molded onto their guns you'll need a magnifying glass to read them.
I'd think with todays manufacturing process it was as simple as mirroring the right hand parts to produce left handed ones.

I wonder how long it will be before they come out with a standard 10/22 in left hand, i doubt they made the investment to sell just a few custom shop rifles….but i am sure they want to sell SOME before letting folks know that they are going to sell them much cheaper…

woodsy

Blackhawk
Sorry, but that magazine is not compatible with the regular mags. Kinda sinks it for me. Plus, the pics show the cheek rest (on the stock) for both left and right configurations. Unless that means it is an ambidextrous stock. I have a regular 10/22 which I shoot left-handed, with no complaints.

hittman

Staff member
I'm a lefty but have been shooting "right handed" 10/22s now since the mid 1970s.

For an MSRP of TWICE what I think it's worth ….. I'll pass.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I am not as interested in a LH 10/22 as I am a left hand bolt gun. A true mirror image left hand AR15 rifle would interest me due to the gas from the ejection port though...

toysoldier

Hunter
This is a truly tremendous event! An actual, honest-to-goodness left-handed semi-auto .22! Semi-auto .22's have been around for more than a century, but this is the first time a manufacturer has recognized this unfilled market.
So much for the enthusiasm. Let's see if they offer something more affordable. How many variations will they offer? Takedown? International? Will it be like bolt-gun manufacturers who, if they offer a LH model, only offer one model in one of 4 common calibers? What aftermarket gear is compatible? I want one, but I want answers first.

NikA

Buckeye
Ethang said:
I am not as interested in a LH 10/22 as I am a left hand bolt gun. A true mirror image left hand AR15 rifle would interest me due to the gas from the ejection port though...

Stag LH uppers are pretty close except the ejection port cover flips up instead of down. Lower controls are pretty easy to convert to ambi versions in most cases.

Ethang

Blackhawk
NikA said:
Ethang said:

Stag LH uppers are pretty close except the ejection port cover flips up instead of down. Lower controls are pretty easy to convert to ambi versions in most cases.

Yup. That is why I would like a true mirror image LH.

I am LH and some shotguns and rifles can be a problem when cases eject. Handguns, I never found one that creates that problem. The problems can be the cases hit the right side of your face or the gases are released near your eyes and face. Some say cases flying out cause a distraction.
Shooting a few thousand rounds using a 10-22 left handed those are not problems for a lefty. I also shoot ARs and own 3. all mine have ambi controls. Only the 1st gen. ARs had cases hitting the right side of my face and that was a distraction.
I competed in high power rifle, shooting my NM M1, several NM M14's and my NM AR15. and in those events it was not really a problem.
I can see in a speed competition have ambi controls would matter, maybe ejecting case out the left help some from being distracted. The gas thing is taken care of by wearing shooting glasses, we all should wear safety glasses when shooting anyway. If they come out with a LH 10-22 in the same price range as the other basic 10-22s I might want one. But I am not spending that high of price when the tried and true old style work for a lefty just fine.
In my gun safe I have 100% LH rifles and one LH 870. But also many right handers that I shoot.

The only reason a left handed person would use a right handed weapon when a left handed one is available is that they believe the nonsense the gun press puts out about left handed guns not being necessary.

I'd like to force these fools to use my left handed guns only for a few years. Imagine the outcry.

gunzo

Buckeye
The lefty Comp model from the custom shop has the same retail of the right hand model. I don't shoot left handed, but I sill give them a thumbs up for making one & pricing it the same.

I'm extremely left handed. So much that I cannot do very much with my right hand at all. I would love one of these. I've got a custom Cooper in left handed (bolt) and a Savage bolt action rifle. They are so nice and comfortable.

It's very nice to see companies making left handed guns that don't cost as much as custom guns.

Jeepnik, which left handed guns are you speaking of and the right handed ones that cannot work. I know there are some right handed rifles and shotguns that don't work well, but many do. The location of the safety is a big deal. I am taking the wide view of all rifles/shotguns and action styles. Just asking it's really no big deal as much as it is what you prefer.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
I'll pass. Ruger is way to late to this game. I bought a left hand semi auto built by Savage about 6 years ago for less than $200. It is accurate and operates perfectly on mini mags.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
gunzo said:
The lefty Comp model from the custom shop has the same retail of the right hand model. I don't shoot left handed, but I sill give them a thumbs up for making one & pricing it the same.

^^^^^Spot ON! And besides, MSRP is never the same as the so called "street, or gun shop prices", that is, unless you shop on Rodeo Drive in LA. :shock: