How Many is Too Many?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rowanfae22

Bearcat
I have a SR 22lr with the 4.5" barrel that I have gotten fairly good with. I'm excited that I have a Mark iv Target coming (on backorder). But today in the gun shop I saw a Ruger Mark iv Hunter. And I really want it too. The question I have... Is the Hunter too much like the Target? Will it be like having 2 of the same gun? Is it a little crazy that a grandma has three 22 pistols (I also have a 380 and a 38 sp revolver)? There was also a Browning Buck Mark 22 there that is my second choice. Any wisdom to help me decide?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Do you like it? Do you want it? Can you find one? Can you afford it? If so, buy it.

A wise man told me long ago, "Money won't keep you warm at night, and it's not fit to eat." :wink:

NikA

Buckeye
Mount a red dot on one and keep the other with irons for more casual use. In my experience, it's a pain in the neck to swap from one sighting system to another.

With the Mark IV, I would seriously consider looking for take-off uppers. I've seen a few places that stock them.

rowanfae22 said:
Is it a little crazy that a grandma has three 22 pistols (I also have a 380 and a 38 sp revolver)?

Any wisdom to help me decide?

Nothing wrong with having three (or more!) .22 pistols!

It might also put you in the running for the "Coolest Grandma Ever" award! :mrgreen:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
kg3wiEal.jpg

I never imagined buying multiples of the same gun but this is what I did, along with a Black Mamba and a Mark III Hunter.

Oddly enough I shoot each one of them and really enjoy the ability to switch between models. I shoot Steel Challenge matches with RFPO and RFPI using the same frame and just change uppers when I want to go from open to iron sights.

They all feel slightly different so it is like having multiple guns. It's a little cheaper buying reclaimed uppers from Volquartsen's Bargain Bin when they put them on sale. I paid $25 for the 5.5 inch bull target barrel and $100 for the 10 inch. You can get the 5.5 inch with sights and a case for $45 but I had extra sights to mount on it.

Good luck with your new collection. You will enjoy each one.

NikA

Buckeye
Pat-inCO said:
NikA said:
With the Mark IV, I would seriously consider looking for take-off uppers.
I've seen a few places that stock them.
https://volquartsen.com/l/mk4_uppers?c=029518

Sounds like a great idea, if you can find some in stock.

These guys seem to have some available from time to time, not sure how pricing compares: https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Mk-IV-Standard-Frame-Parts-s/204.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=204&show=300&page=1

I bought some 'take off' parts from wirthweinguns. Honest and prompt.
As far as "too many"---no such thing when discussing Ruger 22 pistols. I think the idea of having a 'dot' pistol and an open sight pistol is as good as it gets. I have 2 with dot optics, 2 with OEM sights, and 1 "Buck Rogers special" with sights, dot, and laser.

9x19

Hunter
I had to take a count... three isn't too many... nor nearly enough. :D

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I use a lot of the Volquartsen Custom parts and visit that site quite often. I first discovered their selling of the Ruger Mark IV uppers a couple years ago and bought 2, 5½-inch blued target uppers, no sights for $25.00 each plus $15.00 shipping. What VC is doing is using the Zytel grip frames from some of the Mark IV 22/45 pistols for their Black Mamba pistols and then selling the take-off uppers:
5dCfsAPl.jpg

At another time, they sold some uppers with sights and a hard Ruger case for $45.00, with free shipping:
oHxG83zl.jpg
So, I got this one.
And also, I understand they had some 10-inch barreled receivers that were quickly sold and recently were offering the 4 ¾ tapered uppers for sale.
You gotta check often and be quick to act, or they're gone in 60 seconds.

rowanfae22

Bearcat
Uncle Howie said:
rowanfae22 said:
Is it a little crazy that a grandma has three 22 pistols (I also have a 380 and a 38 sp revolver)?

Any wisdom to help me decide?

Nothing wrong with having three (or more!) .22 pistols!

It might also put you in the running for the "Coolest Grandma Ever" award! :mrgreen:

Thank you Uncle Howie. I like the idea of being a Cool Grandma.

rowanfae22

Bearcat
So thank you to all. I have just ordered my Mark iv Hunter. And I no longer feel crazy, just very excited to get it.

9x19

Hunter
I have 19 rimfire pistols in various styles, sizes, and chamberings.

You've got a long way to go to get to crazy. :D

My grandsons and I enjoy trips to the range together, and they love shooting .22s