American in 17HMR ?'s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunzo

Buckeye
Any folks here shooting one? If so, how bout the accuracy & feeding?

I want to try an American Predator when they become available again. I shoot a Savage now that's crazy accurate, & feeds great as long as the mags are in good condition. But that's the weak link. The Savage mags leave a lot to be desired. The Ruger wins in this regard, although I am assuming the Ruger magnum mags are as robust & dependable as the 10/22 style rotary.

Just curious, I'll not be getting rid of the Savage until I prove another gun. The Savage is a dinky thing, but it's accuracy makes up for all the shortcomings.

9x19

Hunter
The Americans I"ve owned in .17HMR were all reliable and accurate enough for hunting. None were world class.

I'm down to two rifles in .17HMR theses days: Alexander Arms and Volquartsen... I prefer semi-autos.

Although I still have it, I'm not impressed by my RAR 17HMR. I bought one (16.5" threaded muzzle) with the express purpose of being a suppressor host. Then I found that it wouldn't extract cases fired with the can mounted. After considerable frustration, I determined that CCI 'Green' ammo with the 15.5 non-lead bullet is the only ammo that will work with this set-up. Unfortunately, this ammo provides only mediocre accuracy vs CCI or Hornady varmint type ammo plus it's 10-20% more expensive.
I guess I could send the rifle back for service but it was like this from the beginning with all new factory parts so how is having factory parts replaced going to change the results?
Yes, the Ruger mags are good but I have nothing with which to compare. I worked on a Federal wetland restoration project a few years back. The first step was to lower the water level and then "remove" as many of the muskrats that had caused the initial problems as possible. With 4-5 loaded magazines, the RAR 17 sank a lot of rats as they swam across the remaining open water. When you shoot a 17 HMR fast enough the barrel and muffler get pretty warm. Zero mag related failure to feed through at least 500 rounds.

gunzo

Buckeye
Thanks guys, I definitely won't be getting rid of the Savage until after I confirm a replacement to be worthy.

My Savage has a few drawbacks, but accuracy isn't one of them, & it feeds great as long as the mags are happy. It's a Prairie Dog killin machine. Thought I'd like to have an auto, but the Savage bolt gun has been known to digest 800 rounds in just a few days. An auto could put me in the poor house. :lol:

Yep, Savage magazines kind of suck. I have an American Compact in 22, and the 17HMR in the 22" American Rifle. They both are very accurate. My American 17 shoots 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 yards. These are 5 shot groups. When I am on my game. I can get just under an inch for 5 shots.
I also have a Volquartsen in 17 HMR, and it will shoot an inch and under. Both use the Ruger mag, so that makes it nice. I have 10 magazines for the pair.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I have a compact version. Probably my favorite 17HMR. Extremely accurate and totally reliable function wise overall perfect. However I might of got a gun that got a little extra attention. When I first shot it would not extract spent rounds consistently and was splitting cases. Sent it back to Ruger said the gun needed to be replaced. However due to their production schedule it could of been several months before they could send me one. Well that was simply not acceptable and I not so politely let them know. Got a call a couple days later from a supervisor or manger of that manufacturing cell. Told me he had personally sourced the parts and assembled the gun. As I said gun has been perfect.

I also have a target model savage. Ruger out shoots it with ease. Bought the ruger as a knock around truck gun. Getting a little more respect after a few trips to the range.