New Mark IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimd441

Blackhawk
Picked up my new stainless 5.5 in Target Mark IV yesterday and am most impressed with it. My range is closed this week for remodeling so it will be next week before I can shoot it, but I must comment on the fantastic fit and finish. The gun is visually perfect. Disassembly and reassembly is what you would expect, so simple it is actually fun. It is a bit tight which I like on a new gun. Based on reviews I have read, cycling should not be an issue. My plan is to use hv ammo as that constitutes most of my .22 lr inventory. I'll update this report after I shoot it.

Did Ruger discontinue including the brass from the test round? Not that I care, but my other Ruger came with the empty brass.

Jim

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Good luck with it. I shot a couple thousand rounds of HV ammo through mine before trying CCI-SV. Now the SV work great and they and Blazers are my current go to ammo for Steel Challenge Matches.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Yes, no more spent cases are included. Why that was done is because some states required that a new pistol have a spent case sent to the local LEO to keep on file for future reference, which they thought would help identify that particular firearm should they find any at a shooting. Eventually, they realized how dang silly that requirement actually was, and dropped that dumb requirement.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Ran a patchworm through the new Mark IV and then put 80 rounds of CCI MMs through it. I like the gun a lot.

Cleaned the gun and was surprised how simple it was. It seemed all I had to do was the standard takedown and clean exposed areas and the barrel. It went so quickly. Am I missing something? Also, it wasn't as dirty as I expected after 80 rounds but maybe that is because I have been burning through my inventory of old Rem GBs in revolvers.

Jim

"Also, it wasn't as dirty as I expected after 80 rounds"
While it's good to clean a new pistol after the first few uses, I found it's just not worthwhile after the initial break-in. In fact, one of my 22/45's simply doesn't like being clean so I just wipe the exterior and put if away. Son's MK2 hasn't been cleaned for several years and he shoots Rem ammo from the bucket packs.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
jimd441 said:
Ran a patchworm through the new Mark IV and then put 80 rounds of CCI MMs through it. I like the gun a lot.

Cleaned the gun and was surprised how simple it was. It seemed all I had to do was the standard takedown and clean exposed areas and the barrel. It went so quickly. Am I missing something? Also, it wasn't as dirty as I expected after 80 rounds but maybe that is because I have been burning through my inventory of old Rem GBs in revolvers.

Jim

That's the beauty and ease involved with cleaning the Ruger Mark IV pistols. The owner of this Ruger Mark pistol was, a non-cleaning believer, that is, until the bolt would no longer go fully into battery:

C3mT4RJl.jpg

woodsy

Blackhawk
I clean my firearms, no matter what caliber or type, within 24 hours of using them. That's 66 years and counting. NEVER a problem with operation. That's one of the reasons why I will never pay for a used gun, no matter what. I inherited/was given several which where neglected, and a simple cleaning was all they needed.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks all for the feedback. I too clean my guns after each use, I know it is is not functionally necessary, but (for me) it is psychologically necessary.

Jim

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
woodsy said:
I clean my firearms, no matter what caliber or type, within 24 hours of using them. That's 66 years and counting. NEVER a problem with operation. That's one of the reasons why I will never pay for a used gun, no matter what. I inherited/was given several which where neglected, and a simple cleaning was all they needed.

After many years of doing exactly what you are doing I've found that a "CLEAN" gun is a happy gun and will respond to that sort of treatment very well the next time it's called upon for use.
I won't put any of my Ruger Mark pistols, and I have quite a few, away with the hammer in the cocked position. It's a very simple matter to install one of these wall anchors in the chamber and relax the hammer forward and relieve the pressure on that hammer spring.:

sM30QlUl.jpg

Doesn't matter to me whether someone says it's OK to leave the hammer cocked, I just don't want to do that.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Same here, I just can't put my guns away cocked, and also store all my switchblades in the open position. The wall anchor seems like a good option. For the Mark IV, I found it easy to slip in a spent case before firing it.

Jim