Are you shooting more rimfire these days?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimd441

Blackhawk
Over the last few years the percentage of rounds I have been shooting has gone from about 50% rimfire to over 90%. These rounds are all .22 lr and cover both rifles and handguns. The reason has nothing to do with ammo availability, as I have plenty across all the calibers I own. I think the reason is pure enjoyment. These days, I just enjoy shooting my .22s more but really don't know why. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jim

Yes, although it's not a new phenomenon for me. I have (and have had) a number of centerfire firearms but I enjoy shooting and collecting .22s the most and always have.

This time of year, most of my shooting is rimfire. I may crack off a few shots to check zero on the EDC rifle but not much center fire shooting.
reasons:
my rifle firing point isn't covered so except for a short time early/late, it's hot
most of the time during summer there may be livestock beyond my 100 yard and 300 meter backstops. not a big consideration but always a possibility that an errant shot or ricochet could miss the backstop and hit a critter.
the 25 yard backstop where I normally shoot 22's is tucked into a corner of the yard that's always safe and shaded.

9x19

Hunter
These days?

:D

Rimfire (.17s and .22s) has nearly always been my highest round count.

9mm (pistols and carbines) is second.

gunzo

Buckeye
I should be as I have plenty of it. But knowing it may not be readily replaceable or cost sensible kind of curbs the enthusiasm.

Well that, & mid 90's temps with nearly the same numbers in humidity slows things down also.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Not just these days but always. Don't know if most here are aware of CCI & Federals recent practice of shipping ammunition right to your front door via Big Brown truck. So far, I've received a bunch of .22 rounds and even the newly introduced Federal "Punch" Defensive .22 ammunition, most often in less than a week. Minneapolis is a 2-hour drive from my shop:

FSS2A5Sm.jpg

eKLhOmZm.jpg

CRCZJZdm.jpg

Even got some of the Federal "Punch" Defense rounds in 9mm for my LC9s summer carry body guard:

6Fgz1Akm.jpg

jimd441

Blackhawk
Yes SGW Gunsmith, recent acquisitions from the CCI website have made my ammo shelves a good bit heavier.

Jim

Snake45

Hawkeye
I made the move to "mostly .22" over a decade ago. I have a matching .22 for every "real" gun I have (if one is available), and the .22s get shot at least 10x as much--some of them much, much more than that.

But with .22 ammo now costing what centerfire did just a few years ago, this year I've taken a big, big dive into airguns. Thus far I've bought five new airguns this year, including a .22 pellet Springfield Armory M1a, and CO2-powered replicas of M1 carbine, 1911 and Walther P.38. I'm having an absolute HOOT shooting them in my basement whenever the mood strikes me, and it's a rare day I shoot up a whole dollar.

There's a .22 and an airgun in this picture:

SAMilSpec191102.jpg.d068fe574dc37acaa652514903c14d24.jpg

I have 1000 Mini Mags on the way. The wife trains with and shoots lots of bulk .22s but always finishes with the Mini Mags she carries in her LCR so my supply of those was getting a little light(to me). I would say 75% of my shooting is .22lr, about 15% 5.56, and the rest is .38 Special, .38+P, and .357 Magnum depending on what I'm trying to accomplish that day.

IKE

Single-Sixer
I've got quite a bit of .22LR ammo on hand and three guns that shoot it and I promised myself that in order to conserve on 1911 / 45ACP reloading components that I would start shooting more .22LR this year but that just hasn't happened.......hard for me to head to the range with anything other than one of my 1911's.

I am (in a way) cutting back on my 45ACP ammo......as opposed to going to the range twice a week and shooting 100 rounds per trip I still go twice a week but I only fire 50 rounds per trip.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Captain America;

Which of the CCI Mini-Mag types did you order?

FSS2A5S.jpg

I received 1000 of each, but as yet haven't put any of these over my chronograph. sorta anxious to try the "Target" version to see just how accurate they are in my Ruger Mark pistols and then a few of my rifles:

2vJavMN.jpg

SGW Gunsmith said:
Captain America;

Which of the CCI Mini-Mag types did you order? I received 1000 of each, but as yet haven't put any of these over my chronograph. sorta anxious to try the "Target" version to see just how accurate they are in my Ruger Mark pistols and then a few of my rifles:

Varmint, I have a bunch of the Target and they're really accurate in my Mark Pistols. I chose the Varmint for my wife to carry in her LCR after doing some mildly scientific testing. When you shoot a can of Spam with the Varmint Mini-Mag the exit hole is amazingly large compared to other rounds and the CCI rimfires are notoriously reliable as far as rimfires go. Winchester bulk ammo also leaves a pretty gaping hole out the back and the hole gets really big when she shoots them through her 10/22.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I'm shooting exclusively .177 pellet guns.
I got an M1A look alike, thanks to Snake, and a Beeman P17 (for $40).

The Beeman has an amazing trigger and the M1A replica is quite nice.

It's NICE to shoot for a penny per round!
( I can also shoot inside :wink: )

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
I'm shooting exclusively .177 pellet guns.
I got an M1A look alike, thanks to Snake, and a Beeman P17 (for $40).
How's that M1A workin' out for you, Pat? Haven't heard about it since you first got it. Does it shoot well for you?

Last group I "benchrested" from mine (a Black & Decker Workmate) was five shots in one hole that could have been covered completely by a dime.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I've been shooting both the target and the varmint. Both seem to perform equally well but I haven't yet tried measuring groups.

Jim

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I now only shoot my .22s and shoot them a lot. I couldn't afford to shoot this many rounds of centerfire. I shoot about 1000 rounds a week. Mostly CCI Mini Mags with a few Standard Velocity rounds in there as well.

I've picked up some Velocitors, Stingers and Federal Punch ammo to test in my backup carry gun. I've limited my EZ-9 practice to only 20 rounds per week just to keep me honest.

CCI is selling direct to the customer now and if you buy $100 you get free shipping. That helps a little with the high price of ammo.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Snake45 said:
How's that M1A workin' out for you, Pat?
Haven't heard about it since you first got it.
This last week is the first in a month that has not been very near, or over 110*.

Indoors it is too loud (no hearing protection) and REALLY hits the bullet trap hard.

Everything I see says it is on a par with yours (really NICE).
VERY pleased! 8)

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
Snake45 said:
How's that M1A workin' out for you, Pat?
Haven't heard about it since you first got it.
This last week is the first in a month that has not been very near, or over 110*.

Indoors it is too loud (no hearing protection) and REALLY hits the bullet trap hard.

Everything I see says it is on a par with yours (really NICE).
VERY pleased! 8)
Too loud? Huh. I don't consider mine loud. Of course yours is .177, maybe its going supersonic and you're getting a sonic crack.

Mine sounds about like my Mendoza 522, which I've often likened to the sound of an aluminum screen door slamming shut. This noise never bothered the neighbors when I used it to wipe out a troublesome nest of tree rats that had taken up squatting in my attic. No one ever had a clue.