"Rare" 4" MK II Blued Bull bbl Target Model ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fanner50

Bearcat
Hey everyone...I don't post much but I have a ton of Ruger's.

I have the opportunity to purchase a supposedly "Rare" Ruger MK II Bull Barrel Target model with a 4"bbl. It is blued. It has the thumb rest laminated target grips, the original box dated 1/96, the owners manual dated 3/95, both magazines, and the plastic wrap that the gun was wrapped in. The gun has been fired, but the blueing is perfect and the bore is perfect too. SN: 221-76xxx

So Ruger experts is this MK II Target model with the 4" bbl rare, and about how much should it sell for? Thanks for your help on this very cool looking MK II.

chilidog

Single-Sixer
Not sure on the value of it. The four inch is one of the hardest to find. If it has a gold trigger it is a Lipseys and is more rare.

Fanner50

Bearcat
chilidog said:
Not sure on the value of it. The four inch is one of the hardest to find. If it has a gold trigger it is a Lipseys and is more rare.

This one has the silver trigger. I wanted to post a picture, but I can't figure out how.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
Check the completed auctions on Gun broker. Looks like they are going from $459-$699 currently. I have four but mine are the stainless versions.

Sounds like one of the grip variations of the MK4B. Prices suggested are probably reasonable. I've been seeing some "collectible" versions of Marks going for some pretty crazy prices lately.

chet15

Hawkeye
Fanner50 said:
Hey everyone...I don't post much but I have a ton of Ruger's.

I have the opportunity to purchase a supposedly "Rare" Ruger MK II Bull Barrel Target model with a 4"bbl. It is blued. It has the thumb rest laminated target grips, the original box dated 1/96, the owners manual dated 3/95, both magazines, and the plastic wrap that the gun was wrapped in. The gun has been fired, but the blueing is perfect and the bore is perfect too. SN: 221-76xxx

So Ruger experts is this MK II Target model with the 4" bbl rare, and about how much should it sell for? Thanks for your help on this very cool looking MK II.

Plug your serial number into Ruger's serial number lookup page and let us know what model it comes back as. Then we can probably tell you how scarce it is.
Chet15

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have a similar MK-II. I've always wondered what it was due to the closeness in description to what I have heard are rare versions.

Blue, bull 4", silver trigger, smooth thumb rest grip panels, silver eagle.

Lookup says
Model # 00139
Product Line MARK II SERIES PISTOL
Caliber 22 LR
In Production No
Shipped In 1996

So, did I get lucky, or just a great shooter?

Not sure what you're asking. You already know you have a model 00139 which is an MK4B. IMO "Rare" is an overused term for MOST Rugers. I prefer uncommon or hard to find. RENE probably provides production numbers if you are a subscriber. I have one as you describe and I gave $280.81 for it back in 2013 which was a good buy at the time. Current prices do seem to favor the seller but they may look cheap tomorrow, or not.

To the best of my knowledge there are three variations of the MK4B, all model 00189; one with black plastic grips, one with with smooth laminated thumb rest grips (which is the subject of the original post) and one with checkered laminated thumb rest grips. I have no idea which were cataloged or which were distributer models since as yet I don't subscribe to RENE. There is also the MK4BL model 00138 which you mentioned that is a Lipsey's model, and lastly the Lipsey's KMK4BL model 00198 which is stainless.

eveled

Hawkeye
FWIW, I have the blued 4 inch with the smooth thumbrest grips and silver trigger. It is by far my favorite MK2. It's so handy. Ruger had the matching left hand thumbrest grips on clearance a while back and I bought a set. Just so I could have both of the non thumbrest grips on the gun. It's pretty sweet.