10/22 barrel slightly canted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I was researching a neat stock for 10/22's (called the Titan22), and came across an interesting bit of info about 'canted' 10/22 barrels. I found it on the company's website: https://victorcompanyusa.com/
I thought I would put it here for everyone's info and commentary ......

"....It appears there are a certain percentage of these receivers which have been manufactured with a barrel hole which is slightly canted to the left and when installed on the Titan, it makes it appear as if the stock is bent. I assure you the stock is perfectly straight.

We discovered this flaw on two of our own Ruger receivers and scanned the barreled actions into a laser scanner to scientifically verify what we thought we were seeing... the barrel cants to the left approximately 0.070" at the end of an 16 inch barrel. This is a Ruger manufacturing error (or what you may call a very loose tolerance).

The easiest way you can check your receiver to see if it's straight is by removing it from the stock, removing the trigger group and bolt carrier group then C clamp it to to a flat surface (like a metal table or granite countertop). Measure the distance from surface of the table to the outside edge of the barrel. Then flip it over on the other side and do the same. The two measurements you get should be the same, if they are different then your barrel is canted. Bull barreled receivers work best for measuring this."

I tried this test on my 10/22 T and found that mine is canted (albeit, I have to admit that my test surface is FAR from level).

FYI,
J.

NikA

Buckeye
How far out is your barrel? There are multiple points in the assembly that could be not precisely square, I don't think I'd automatically attribute a few thousandths to barrel cant versus, say, the receiver flats not being exactly true to each other.

Enigma

Hunter
It's a generally well known fact that Ruger seems unable to make the barrel hole in the 10/22 receiver square to the receiver centerline. This topic is frequently discussed over at Rimfire Central. There are some folks who can probably correct (or at least minimize) it, if you're losing sleep over it.

Let's see here. A "slip fit" barrel shank into an aluminum receiver held in place by a wedge clamp on the underside. I see at least 3 possible sources of mis-alignment. Hey, it's a mass produced, (relatively) economical 22 not a precision target rifle. The fact that the average 10-22 is as accurate as 90% of the users is slightly amazing.

Johnnu2

Hunter
NikA... my measuring/testing is extremely 'non-precise', have no idea if the work table that I was using is even close to 'flat'. However, the test showed about a BIG (1/8") of space between the barrel and the bench when tested on one side and then maybe a lot less than half of that on the other side. That being said, my heavy barrel rifle shoots 10-shot groups at 25 yds that you can cover with a dime........(all day long). I'm not complaining about our 10/22's; I just thought the info was interesting since I had never heard about it before....
J.

Johnnu2:
I have two 10/22's and one Titan22 Stock. I can attest that their information is correct. One of the barreled actions fits very nicely in the Titan stock, and the other is indeed off to one side.

It's very odd but true. I can post some pictures if you want.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks for that confirmation Kevin.... No need for pics for me; I'm going to stick with the factory (laminate) stock. It shoots extremely well now that I glass bedded it. I was just hoping to use the Titan only because of the better pistol grip configuration.... It appears to be a really nice upgrade.
Thanks again,
J.

Cdog

Bearcat
I have a standard 10-22 carbine that with a scope in place is easily detectable something isn't square.

I haven't investigated yet, but the scope and barrel aren't aligned. Could be as simple as the base drilled off center?

My bet is it ain't the base.

This is an easy way to confirm receiver to barrel alignment.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
Didn't notice how bad my mid-90's carbine is until I dropped it into a Hogue youth spprter stock. It rides hard on the left side of the barrel channel (I did the test). It's unsightly, and I don't think it contributes to accuracy.
I like the stock more than the receiver, so I'm hoping to replace just the receiver with a Kidd.

Iowa Fox

Bearcat
Every single one I have is canted to the left some worse than others. Look at the back of the barrel and you will see the bolt imprint is not square.

On my first non OEM receiver with a Kidd bolt I have square bolt face contact to the back of the barrel. As always the targets are the proof.

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
I once cla
Let's see here. A "slip fit" barrel shank into an aluminum receiver held in place by a wedge clamp on the underside. I see at least 3 possible sources of mis-alignment. Hey, it's a mass produced, (relatively) economical 22 not a precision target rifle. The fact that the average 10-22 is as accurate as 90% of the users is slightly amazing. a 10/22 in a bench vice to shoot in a red dot for a guy .I did it off hand and was hitting everything once it was shot in .he could not hit at all .

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
i once had a 10/22 clamped in a bench vice and when i fired it it made a nice group 4" off where it should have hit so i shot it in with a scope and it was a cant miss shooter .so i know what your saying

I can think of at least one good solution to the issue. Establish a perfect centerline of the receiver and bore for a bushing of correct size for the barrel extension. Using a permanent adhesive, install this bushing and the problem is FIXED.
Is it/would it be worth the cost???????? Up to the individual. The entire operation would not be all that difficult IF the sides of the receiver were parallel. An additional operation might be to 'true' the barrel retention wedge and it's support. That's a bit more tedious but doable.
Before going to that level, I'd want to check the alignment and tolerances of the receiver that Brownell's is selling for $135.

I can think of at least one good solution to the issue...

When I discovered that the barrel on my 10/22 was severely canted to the left, I called Ruger. They payed for shipping it back to them, examined the firearm, decided to replace the receiver, shipped the new-to-me rifle to my FFL, and even reimbursed me for the FFL transfer fee. The barrel in the replacement receiver was dead straight. Will they do something similar for everyone? It may depend on the situation. But in my experience, Ruger has the best customer service in the industry!
:)

I have 7 10-22s. 5 rifles and 2 chargers. On one of the rifles when I was sighting it in I noticed the barrel was slightly canted. I took it apart and took the barrel retaining screws loose and turned the barrel slightly to where it looked straight and squared. Then check and make sure the extractor clears when landing in the extractor slot in the barrel breach. That slot is about twice as wide as the extractor itself so you you have some leeway to turn the barrel. If it is not canted too much it will work.

Last edited:

Latest posts