shooting golf balls

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The 10-22 post reminded me of a Ha-Ha funny scenario that developed during one of the kids practice sessions last fall. I have a portable stand that holds 5 swinger targets. The kids were shooting @ about 50 yards from the bench which didn't seem to be a challenge so I upped the ante. I'd been shooting a fair amount in preparation for deer season and was doing well at 50 yards from a seated position using crossed sticks. I drilled 1/2 dozen holes in the top crossbar of the target frame sized to hold golf T's.
The challenge was for the kids to shoot the golf ball off the T before I could cut the T with a 22. We alternated shots based on who got off the first shot. That was my "ringer" as the kids hurried their first shot and missed way too often. With plenty of time to aim and squeeze, I cut way more T's than I really expected--even just a nick toppled the ball.
It did teach the kids that a hurried shot wasn't a good shot which was a win for me.

"I've put 6 rounds of .22 through a golf ball, bouncing it along the ground. Lots of fun."

The only suitable use for golf balls. I have a retired friend/co-worker who is a golfer. At a training meeting, I asked what he did with his reject golf balls and suggested he bring a bucket full to our next meeting. He of course asked why I wanted them and I responded "for targets". He was a bit skeptical as to how far away I could hit a golf ball so I asked him how far he could hit a ball with his best driver. He gave me a fairly optimistic distance and I told him I could hit the ball with a rifle bullet from 1/2 that range.

Heliman and I shoot at golf balls when somebody leaves them on the target berm. They dance all over the place until one particular hit causes them to fly off to the next county.

So...What we've done, is tied two wiffle golf balls (or baseballs) together with para cord, a couple feet apart and placed them on the target berm. When the ball is hit, it still dances like popcorn, but the other ball keeps it anchored in the area so it doesn't disappear.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Here's another good target...with zero clean up. I buy the cheapest BBQ briquettes I can find and use them for targets with my Scouts and fairly new shooters. Rifle at 25 to 50 yards and pistol at 10-25. On the ground or balanced on old fence rail here on the farm, they're a big hit! Rod

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I keep an ample supply of golf balls, living on a course. Bright orange, green, all colors. A direct hit will send them like a driver would. Downside is broken windows on North side of house. And dented cars.

jjas

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
I keep an ample supply of golf balls, living on a course. Bright orange, green, all colors. A direct hit will send them like a driver would. Downside is broken windows on North side of house. And dented cars.

I've always wondered about that. So if there's damage to your home and/or cars from a golf ball, who pays for it? The golfer, the homeowner, the homeowner's insurance?

Just curious.