SP-101 .22 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimd441

Blackhawk
I have been shooting my SP-101 .22 at my local indoor range at 10 yards using the same style of targets since I bought it about a year ago. About 2 months ago my groups became much worse. I have been using the same few types of ammo and clean the gun after each use.

Along with my SP-101 I have also been shooting my S&W 617 under the same circumstances. The groups with the 617 have not degraded, and may have improved a bit. I have no explanation for this issue. My inclination is to blame myself; the old self-fulfilling prophesy, a fear that I'm going to shoot this gun poorly, and then I do. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

Jim

hittman

Staff member
When my 22 revolvers shoot bad it's usually:

1. Me
2. Lead build up
3. Remington ammo, especially Thunderbolts

I agree with the above but have to add, its age also, your grip weakens,,,the larger revolver may be MORE steady in your grip.......add in the recoil, slight as it may be, but second shot recovery can suffer...try a REST.............. 8) :roll:

....remove the YOU factor :wink:

hittman said:
When my 22 revolvers shoot bad it's usually:

1. Me
2. Lead build up

I agree with 1. and 2., in the same order.

(speaking for me) The SP101 in .22LR is not a naturally easy revolver to shoot well. If you've got bad habits, (me included), this revolver will take advantage of that, and not in a good way.

Not in any way accusing your cleaning regimen, but lead has a way of filling up the grooves and/or forcing cone in a rimfire, and remaining hidden in spite of looking clean. It doesn't take much to spoil accuracy. Once it is known the leading is removed, a different load could very well be the answer.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks all, I do rest between shots and shoot only in single action. Four ammo types have been used in both of the guns. Good suggestion to let someone else shoot the gun, I'll do so. What do y'all recommend for lead removal from a revolver other than standard cleaning?

Thanks,

Jim

jgt

Buckeye
I may be different from other people. I clean my cylinder and frame parts, but I only clean my barrel when the accuracy starts to go. Then I clean it thoroughly. For lead build up I use chore boy bronze wrapped around an older worn brush. I let the foaming cleaner soak it a while before brushing. It usually take thirty or more rounds before the barrel is back to its sweet spot. If you have been cleaning your gun that often, I would have the crown looked at. If you have used a cleaning rod from the muzzle, it could be time to recut that crown.

hittman

Staff member
I clean the bore of my guns every time I shoot them. For me, leading was only a problem using Remington ammo.

Still, I run a standard basic brush through my 22 bores using only Hoppe's or CLP.

When I caught on to my leading problem some years ago a local fella gave me some chemical to use that by now I've forgotten the name of. Sorry.

Snake45

Hawkeye
jimd441 said:
What do y'all recommend for lead removal from a revolver other than standard cleaning?

Thanks,

Jim
A brand new USGI M16/M4 bore brush. Accept no substitutes! :wink:

jimd441

Blackhawk
Silly me for not understanding the suggestion - I'll try a shooting rest.

Thanks for the lead removal tips, I'll do so.

Jim

hpman66

Hunter
As mentioned before, is there any chance that you damaged the crown on the barrel during a cleaning session or otherwise? Any damage to the crown can have a definite effect on accuracy. Maybe get something like a boresnake that you can pull from the forcing cone to the muzzle to prevent damaging the crown.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks for the suggestion hpman66. I use the Otis cleaning system which is a cable that is pulled from the forcing cone through the muzzle. Other than carefully shooting them, I pamper my guns to prevent things like crown damage and to keep them looking new. Crown damage occurred to me and I can't imaging that it occurred but also have no objective evidence that it didn't. Good point

Jim

I keep thinking, "leading in the barrel." Several others appear to be thinking similar thoughts.

It seems the most likely solution, especially when your shooting with the 617 seems to be improving, simultaneously! I'm with Hittman- have you been shooting Remington Thunderbolts? (Unfortunately, Remington Thunderbolts have a reputation for leading.)

I've never used one, but I have seen Snake45's suggestion for the USGI bore brush repeated by others many times over the years. I've also seen the Chore Boy as described by JGT, recommended many times, for the same purpose.

I think leading is the most likely suspect. It can happen even if you do nothing "wrong." It's cheapest/easiest to fix, too.

So... "Get the lead out!" :p

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll get the lead out... (haven't used ant Thunderbolts)

Jim

JosWerring

Bearcat
I have been shooting my SP-101 .22 at my local indoor range at 10 yards using the same style of targets since I bought it about a year ago. About 2 months ago my groups became much worse. I have been using the same few types of ammo and clean the gun after each use.

Along with my SP-101 I have also been shooting my S&W 617 under the same circumstances. The groups with the 617 have not degraded, and may have improved a bit. I have no explanation for this issue. My inclination is to blame myself; the old self-fulfilling prophesy, a fear that I'm going to shoot this gun poorly, and then I do. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim, i have the same problems. the barrel is not as good as the S&W 617. the begin cone after the cilinder is raw. ther is no cure for this.