New Bearcat & Win ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
Decided to shoot my New Bearcat today using Win & CCI ammo. Fired the CCI ammo first which performed really well. CCI all gone opened; the box of Win ammo expecting to continue shooting. Discovered the Win ammo won't go in the cylinder charge holes unless I pressed really really hard, so thought the CCI left my revolver too dirty. Decided to end the range time, go home and thoroughly clean the gun.

Before cleaning the New Bearcat I tried chambering the Winchester ammo in my other 22s, chambered perfectly. So, gave the revolver a good cleaning, no signs of any residue/lead build up, patch stays clean. Tried inserting the win into the cylinder, won't go: tried federal & cci, loaded fine.

Reckon I'll not be attempting to use Win ammo in the New Bearcat again.

Curious if other New Bearcat users had similar experience with Winchester ammo.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I'm not defending Win ammo, but it could be the lot of ammo you are using or maybe even just that part of the lot had maximum diameters on the high side. I haven't noticed the issue with any of my guns, but I don't have a Bearcat (at least not yet).

Jim

Cholo

Staff member
I ran into the same thing with Rem. Golden Bullets. Rem. offered a shipping label to send them back and they would replace them if they were out of spec. Good for them! I suffered thru about 4 bricks because I didn't want the bother of sending them back. Ironically, it was in my only Bearcat where I 1st noticed it, though that wasn't the only .22 of mine that had issues with them.

My point is the Bearcat was the worst. Tight chambers? Mine's a '96.

My sighted Bearcat had extremely tight cylinder bores. I too had ammo that I was having problems with (honestly don't remember what make) and used emery cloth in a dowel and very carefully polished each bore till the "bad ammo" just fit. no additional problems since.

bottom line the New Bearcats the cylinders were held to a tighter max dimension, so built to size, and the Winchester ammo as "internet lore" has spoken lately, was made out of specs(oversized) we've "chased" a few tight cylinders and the 22 cal reamer JUST barely fit in........like noted above, use a slotted 22 cal cleaning rod and small piece of fine emery paper to polish the chambers, do NOT get aggressive, or make the chambers "out of round"......... 8) :roll: :wink:

Montelores

Buckeye
I had been using CCI Standard velocity ammo in a couple of my S&W's, and I experienced difficult extraction.

The cases seems to expand more after firing than other brands, namely, Federal Automatch, which ejected perfectly.

I like the SV ammo, but it doesn't seem to agree with some of my DA revolvers.

I do realize that we 're discussing unfired ammo here, but I thought that this might be worth noting.

See here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=293318&start=30

Monty