Early Ruger standard models pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fla Trooper 265

Bearcat
How accurate were the Ruger early standard model 22lr pistols? I have a Mark Two and its accuracy is outstanding. I am thinking about getting a standard models to shoot. Thanks in advance.

well to prove a point, my "passed" friend Sgt. Brian Delahanty , former PD officer and shot on the bulleyes pistol team took one of my wifes old early standard autos, RST-4 and in competition shot a 288 put of 300 but then again he was a GREAT shot, said if he could put a red dot on it would shoot "perfect".....and Dick Kotabish another awesome shot tried it out and put them all in the black and almost all were touching,,,,,,,,,so the gun is, was capable of excellent accuracy....now my HIgh Standard, Trophy you could cover the 10 shot group with a DIME.... 8) :roll: :wink:
wish I could shoot that good, hell I only averaged 265-270 back then............

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I shot golf balls with my RTS4, late 50's, and my Mark II Bull barrel. I could tell no difference, need more golf balls!! Ammo Remington Golden Vel. My favorite for 45 years.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
well to prove a point, my "passed" friend Sgt. Brian Delahanty , former PD officer and shot on the bulleyes pistol team took one of my wifes old early standard autos, RST-4 and in competition shot a 288 put of 300 but then again he was a GREAT shot, said if he could put a red dot on it would shoot "perfect".....and Dick Kotabish another awesome shot tried it out and put them all in the black and almost all were touching,,,,,,,,,so the gun is, was capable of excellent accuracy....now my HIgh Standard, Trophy you could cover the 10 shot group with a DIME.... 8) :roll: :wink:
wish I could shoot that good, hell I only averaged 265-270 back then............

IIRC, Jimmy Clark also used the Ruger to win the Nationals didn't he, a much modified one of course?
Steve

If you're just looking for a shooter, I would get a MKII or maybe even a MKIII. They'll probably be cheaper than a nice early Standard and will shoot as well. Yesterday my LGS had an MK6 in almost perfect condition and they were only asking $250. I would have bought it except I already have one. :(

chet15

Hawkeye
steve8261948 said:
rugerguy said:

IIRC, Jimmy Clark also used the Ruger to win the Nationals didn't he, a much modified one of course?
Steve

Yeah, he put his own bull barrel on a standard.
Also sold quite a few like that through his gun shop. Is probably what convinced Ruger to offer a Mark 1 5-1/2" bull barrel in 1963.
Chet15

RSIno1

Hunter
The design lends itself to accuracy. The sights/receiver/barrel are basically one piece and don't allow for any variation while shooting.

eveled

Hawkeye
If you want a nice standard to shoot. Find one of the anniversary mk2's in the Redbox. These are great guns. They made so many that they aren't really going up in value, but they are great shooters.

If you are really looking for accuracy I doubt you'll be happy with any of the fixed sight guns. For a really fun plinker find a 4" bull barrel mk2's.

Latest posts