Ruger LCR 22LR And Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I happen to be on a snub nose revolver binge and am looking at an LCR 22 to add to my armory. I am not a collector, I shoot my firearms frequently or I sell them, so a new LCR will get a pretty heavy use. I have two centerfire SP101 snubbies and a 38sp LCR now and am very happy with them all.

With ammo so expensive and hard to find now I would like to enjoy some of my stash of 22lr ammo and would like to get an LCR. I like everything about the 38 LCR I own. I know from reading reviews that the 22lr version has a very heavy trigger and I am willing to live with that as long as it is as smooth as my 38 LCR. Unfortunately, no gun shops here have one in stock for me to handle, but I will take my chances with one I buy online.

However, one review I read is troubling. It was a 2012 review by a well known blog and it said the revolver bound up quickly and badly with ammo fouling. It notes that the manual advises against 22 ammo with heavy lubrication on the bullets. Fair enough, but the review also had problems with some common 22 ammo I would not consider heavily lubricated.

I have not read this elsewhere, nor have I ever heard of it.

Is this really an issue with the 22LR LCR?

My wife has thousands of rounds through hers and never had any issues with Winchester bulk(333,555), Remington Golden, American Eagle, Winchester Super X. The only issue she's ever had was CCI Mini Mags are hard to extract. While the .22 LCR has a heavier trigger than the .38 I think you'll find that you just won't notice the difference at the range.

hittman

Staff member
Unless people here with first hand knowledge say its a problem, I'd ignore one negative internet post from 9 years ago.

I wouldn't mind having a 3-inch 22LR LCRx but haven't run across one yet. It'll happen when it's meant to be.

I have 5 LCR's, 3 in 38 and 2 in 22. While the trigger pull on the 22's is heavier than the 38's, it still is better than many double action 22's. The pull is heavier in order to work with 22 primers. My wife couldn't pull the trigger double action on my Smith 38 snubbie but she can on the 22 LCR.

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thank you very much guys. I found it hard to believe. I wonder if that gun "expert" had much experience. I have ordered my LCR and, as Hickock likes to say, life is good.

Latest posts