what size target?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If a guy was to hang a target for the purpose of firing 1-2 shots every day from an out of the box 10-22 at around 150 yards, what size would you suggest that would be a challenge but ensure the possibility of a hit. Can't be under 4" since I can't even see a weathered steel target 4" gong through the 2.5x scope @ 150 yards.

I'll accept that. I sort of ran away from the post when my work phone jingled and haven't got back until now. Yes, I'd say that hitting a 12" x 12" target from a standing position with only the top of a fence post for support using a very common 10-22 with a 2.5 x 32 scope would be challenging but not impossible.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
How about a 6-8" cylinder? Thin walled tubing cut 10-12" long. I had to swap out spare tire hoist on my Ford. Old one will make a dandy target. Hanging with cable. I also hang railroad spikes. These 1" wide work with scoped rifles.

I already have a 12"x12"(144 square inches) steel plate not in use. Next step down that I have on hand is 9" round (63.6 square inches) which is a lot more difficult. Maybe I'll shoot the 12x12 for a week and see how that plays out. It's only 8 months until the 2021 elk hunt.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
To make things easier, I use 3' X 3' poster paper with 1" squares as target board back paper. Then align my target within those squares when shooting at 100 yards. It makes scope adjustment that much easier, when using my spotting scope to see where hits are going so I can dial in bullet impact to where I want that to be.

Instead of trying for the same target same distance each day, why not smaller and smaller targets further back each day? Or perhaps not each day, but say once a week, move the target back and the next week make it smaller.

I just want to have a bit of a challenge. If I can "ring the bell" as I'm finishing up chores each evening, I'm calling it good.
For years, before returning to the house, I unloaded the chamber of my old 22/45 chore pistol by firing that round at the 8" swinger from the yard gatepost (105 yards). The average hit rate was 5 of 7 tries. I gave up on that cause I can't see the sights well enough these days. Firing a single shot from a field(ish) position with zero preparation is the game. Extending the range adds factors beyond my control. Besides, 150 yards is the distance from the shed door to the backstop.

Here's what I ended up with: After not being able to find the spare 12x12 gong and breaking a chain link on the 10x10 gong, I found a rimfire type 8" round gong and hung it on the corner of the backstop. Then I found my estimate of 150 yards was actually 137 yards. I did finally get to try the setup.
Using an out of the box 10-22 with a Sightron 2.5x32 hunting type scope and Form 1 suppressor shooting Aguila sub-sonic 40 grain ammo, the first two ranging shots hit low but the next 3 shots hit the 8" round target. I still need to paint the target for better visibility but it should prove interesting to see how I do over the next few months.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
Here's what I ended up with: After not being able to find the spare 12x12 gong and breaking a chain link on the 10x10 gong, I found a rimfire type 8" round gong and hung it on the corner of the backstop. Then I found my estimate of 150 yards was actually 137 yards. I did finally get to try the setup.
Using an out of the box 10-22 with a Sightron 2.5x32 hunting type scope and Form 1 suppressor shooting Aguila sub-sonic 40 grain ammo, the first two ranging shots hit low but the next 3 shots hit the 8" round target. I still need to paint the target for better visibility but it should prove interesting to see how I do over the next few months.
I was going to suggest 8.5 X 11 typing paper, but if you're regularly hitting an 8" round target at 137 yards from standing/offhand with a stock 10/22, I'd say you're doing great. :shock: I think it would take me a while to even get to 50% hits with one of my more accurate .22 bolt rifles. :?

A few years ago, I used to blow up toy balloons to 8-10", put them on my club's 125 yard backstop, and shoot at them with .22 handguns, typically Smith and Colt revolvers. I could consistently hit them about 1 out of 2 shots. Haven't tried it for awhile now, though.