Useless, For Need of a Spring?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I don't exactly know the number of Ruger 22/45 and Mark III 22/45 pistols that are now in the hands of happy Ruger pistol owners, but it will sure be a shame if ever the sear spring should be lost, broken, or worn out.
Ruger no longer stocks those sear springs, so if something happens with our factory provided sear spring in these 22/45 versions, the pistol will be rendered useless. What a shame! Hope all the owners here have acquired at least one backup spring:

zyoBFX9.jpg

I've sent a note to the Ruger CEO via the Ruger.com site, asking why they dropped the stocking of that needed spring. Even asked as to who they got those springs from as I would like to buy whatever the amount of ordering requires. So far, nothing but crickets chirping. :?

Maybe the Ruger CEO needs to receive a "bombardment" of contacts on the "Ask the CEO" at the ruger.com web-site?

I would think that Wolff Gunsprings, Volquartsen, or some other supplier could be convinced to make a run of them.

Or... maybe the profit margin on such a part wouldn't make it feasible?

Maybe the R&D costs (to copy the factory spring... 8) ) make it a non-starter?

Maybe potential liability makes the project a non-starter?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, SGW.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Captain America said:
This guy has 51 in stock...

https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Factory-Ruger-22-45-Mark-2-3-Pistol-Sear-Spring-p/r-mk-tgr-2245-sspng.htm

HAD 51 in stock. They're disappearing rather quickly. When his supply has been depleted, where then will his next batch come from?
One fella emailed me and when he talked with Ruger customer service, they so much as told him he was SOL, as that part is now obsolete.
AFAIK, all the manufacturers of firearms get springs from those who make springs, like Wolfe & ISMI, they don't make springs in-house, nor does Volquartsen.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I don't understand why they would not have a part for a pistol that they still make: 22/45

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Of course they still have springs for guns they still make!

Ruger is known for not selling parts they need for making new guns when their inventory gets low. Call them in two months or so and they'll sell them again. They've always done that for years especially for new introduced models.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
SteelBlue said:
I don't understand why they would not have a part for a pistol that they still make: 22/45

Sure the 22/45 iteration is being made in the Mark IV version, but the current 22/45 grip frame uses the sear spring the same as the other versions of the Mark IV types, and not with the same configuration as initially posted above, of which they will NOT be stocking any longer.

I guess one would actually know this when they work with these Ruger Mark pistols on a regular basis. Even though Ruger has not yet discontinued making the Ruger Mark IV, I've been ordering and GETTING all sorts of the Mark IV parts currently available (not restricted), and in current use, so maybe they didn't get THAT memo? :shock:

xtratoy

Buckeye
I'm just wondering, how many of these are known to have broke? I could imagine maybe dropping or misplacing it during a total disassembly. It seems unlikely to fatigue and break considering the range of movement. If this is a part that is known for failure I will definitely pick one up.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Makes me wonder what Volquartsen dose for there 1911 Target frame. Maybe Ruger could trade Volquartsen sear springs for v lock springs.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Well, I did send a note to the CEO, before my rant here, involving the lack of Ruger 22/45 and Mark III 22/45 sear spring being unobtanium that can be done from the Ruger web-site. Not positive that did anything but I now see that those sear springs have now become easily available currently.

When the Ruger Mark IV was first introduced, one of the very FIRST things I noticed was the adoption, and use of the same style sear spring being used in all the various iterations of the Mark IV. Good idea.
So, the 22/45 and the Ruger Mark III 22/45 pistols are no longer in production, since at least, after the Ruger Mark IV pistols were introduced. :roll:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
REP1954 said:
Makes me wonder what Volquartsen dose for there 1911 Target frame. Maybe Ruger could trade Volquartsen sear springs for v lock springs.

Depends on which VC pistol target grip frame you're wondering about. They do have a grip frame that works with the Mark III & 22/45 versions, and now they are using the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 grip frames for the "Black Mamba" target pistols.