Casual review of Glock 44 and Browning Black Label

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was out shooting today, I didn't stay too long, it was really windy and still pretty humid. Anyway, I had both my Browning Black Label and Glock 44 today. Both in 22 lr. I thought I'd take some pictures of both of them side by side. It's surprising how similar they are. Virtually identical in size. The Glock is wider of course. When gripping the Browning, it is very thin in comparison.

Both have white dot sights. The Browning has a three dot setup and the Glock has a white outline around the rear sight. The Glock's white paint is brighter. Although the Browning's white dots are still very visible. I think I like the Glock's rear sight better. The white outline is pretty thick, and makes quick follow up shots very easy. The sight, and since it's just a 22, the gun pretty much just stays on target.

I really like the trigger on the Glock. Well, I like the trigger on the Browning also. But the Glock's trigger feels different. The pull weight is very close to each other. I don't have a gauge, but they both feel the same. It's just the slack and take up do both feel completely different from each other.

Glock goes to great length to talk about how to load their magazines and they have a video about it online. They advertise how the magazine has an assist tab to help. As you can see in the pictures, Browning also has an assist tab on their Black Label magazines. Each brand of magazine is very easy to load with this assist tab. I really wish Ruger would put something similar on the Mark IV magazines. They have those buttons, but they dig into your fingers. I was very slow and deliberate when loading the Glock. I followed the directions and loaded the gun the way Glock describes in the video.

I shot CCI Mini-Mags Round Nose in the Glock, and not a single blip. No stove pipes, no FTE, or FTF, or anything. It worked flawlessly. This is only the second time I've had the gun out, and it only has 150 rounds through it, but so far, no problems at all.

The Browning is the same way. I've had that gun for 3 or 4 years, and it really only jams up when it's dirty. I've taken it out quite a lot, and honestly, it only fouls up when it's dirty, otherwise, it too runs like a champ.

I think the Browning is just a bit more accurate. But, I'm more familiar with it. I think over time, the Glock will be just as accurate. It's plenty accurate right now, but today seemed to shoot low and to the left. But, like I said, it was really windy. I took it out today mostly to see if it would jam up. My daughter has shot the Browning quite a bit, and is pretty comfortable with it.

All in all, I really like both guns. They aren't competition target grade pistols, but that's ok. This is my first Glock, and after shooting it, I think I'd really like to go get one in 9mm and see how it performs.

ZrcOkWal.jpg

TW0EcASl.jpg

kxT7XhPl.jpg

NhKtJghl.jpg

9x19

Hunter
I have some Kimber rimfires, so haven't been interested in the Browning 1911-clones, but thanks for the info.

I also have some Glock 44s and haven't had a moments trouble from them.

9x19 said:
I have some Kimber rimfires, so haven't been interested in the Browning 1911-clones, but thanks for the info.

I also have some Glock 44s and haven't had a moments trouble from them.

Good to know about your trouble free Glocks. I didn't actually read any reviews before I bought mine. I knew they came out and wanted one, but hadn't heard about all the trouble until after I bought it. I was a little nervous to take it out the first time, but am so glad I bought this.

It's a pleasure to shoot, and no trouble so far.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Kevin - nice review and photos, thanks for sharing.

Regarding your comment: "Each brand of magazine is very easy to load with this assist tab. I really wish Ruger would put something similar on the Mark IV magazines. They have those buttons, but they dig into your fingers". I cut a small piece from an old terrycloth towel and place it between the button and my thumb when loading my Mark IV magazines. It makes a big difference.

Jim

Besides taking the time to test the guns side by side. You did a great job writing it all up. It was better done than some articles I have read in gun mags.

kmoore said:
Besides taking the time to test the guns side by side. You did a great job writing it all up. It was better done than some articles I have read in gun mags.

Thank you, that is very nice.

As a continuation, I took the Glock back to the range today and put another 100 rounds of Winchester Super X through it. I don't think the Winchester ammo was as accurate as the CCI Mini Mags. But anyway, the gun fired them all without any sort of problem at all.

I am pleased you have a Glock 44 that functions as intended. Many of us were not so lucky. If Glock corrected the magazine issues, and if that's why they now function correctly, they kept that information to themselves, and pretty much kicked the rest of us to the curb.

I learned how to minimize malfunctions in mine, but enough was enough, and it went down the road at a bargain price for the next owner to experiment with.

Bottom line... The Glock 44 is otherwise such a nice shooting and shooter friendly pistol. 8)

Wayno:
I think I remember you discussing the issues you had with your Glock 44. I'm really sorry, because they are nice pistols. I absolutely love the trigger on it. In fact, I think I like it better than the TandemKross trigger on my Mark IV 22/45. That trigger has too much creep, and overall feels kind of...not cheap, but flimsy, like it's going to fall apart. The Glock's trigger is smooth and consistent through the entire arc.

ssqman

Bearcat
I put steel night sights on my G44. As far as the magazines go, I found that after about 20 loadings and firings through the gun something wears in and it isn't so picky about how you load them anymore.