Single Six date of manufacture

Help Support Ruger Forum:

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I just picked up an old model Single Six with two cylinders. The serial number is in the 415XXX range. Am I correct that it was probably a 22WMR only gun made in 1966?

looking in my 'RENE' guide it shows it was made in 1965.......and if the cylinders "match" serial number to that gun, it was most likely a convertible....the "magnum" marked guns came out in 1959 thru 1964, and the later ones were convertibles...they say a letter from the factory will designate what is actually made and shipped as...or if you have the box, as well as the cardboard shipping sleeve,,its all on there......
8) :roll: :wink:

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I was basing the "magnum only" on Ruger's website https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/ But after cleaning the front of the cylinder, both are matching to the revolver serial.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
It currently has a set of Jay Scott imitation stag grips on it. I'd like to put the correct grips on it. I'm assuming they would be walnut with a black eagle?

diyj98 said:
I was basing the "magnum only" on Ruger's website https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/ But after cleaning the front of the cylinder, both are matching to the revolver serial.
Just as an information only suggestion, the Ruger site, though from Ruger, is not as accurate as the information found in the Red Eagle News Exchange (RENE).

street

Hunter
Ruger usually uses a number to show the barrel length of a Single-Six.
RSS4 for a 4 5/8 in. bl.
RSS5 for a 5 1/2 in. bl.
RSS9 for a 9 1/2 in. bl.

In 1959 when Ruger came out with the Single-Six with a 6 1/2 in. bl. instead of calling it a RSS6, they call it a RSSM as that gun was only made in a .22 Mag. The M stands for Magnum. After they started making in in a convertible they still called it a RSSM. So all 6 1/2 in Single-Sixes on the Ruger serial number web site are listed as magnum, even though most are convertibles.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
street said:
Ruger usually uses a number to show the barrel length of a Single-Six.
RSS4 for a 4 5/8 in. bl.
RSS5 for a 5 1/2 in. bl.
RSS9 for a 9 1/2 in. bl.

In 1959 when Ruger came out with the Single-Six with a 6 1/2 in. bl. instead of calling it a RSS6, they call it a RSSM as that gun was only made in a .22 Mag. The M stands for Magnum. After they started making in in a convertible they still called it a RSSM. So all 6 1/2 in Single-Sixes on the Ruger serial number web site are listed as magnum, even though most are convertibles.

Your post had me thinking, but I dug it back out of the safe and it's a 5 1/2".

Latest posts