question on 10-22 with subsonic ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Some of my 10-22 rifles are barely functional with sub-sonics. One in particular is stubborn. It has a 10.5" barrel with a "pin & weld" suppressor and so far has not run a full 10 round mag w/o a short stroke stoppage more than a few times since assembly. Son's Charger runs the SS ammo fine with or w/o a suppressor.
So, do Chargers have a different spring rate??

gunzo

Buckeye
Look at sons owners manual for the charger & see if it shows a different part # for the spring.

Otherwise, I put Kidd extractors & standard velocity recoil springs in my two 10/22s & made them a ton more reliable.

I don't mind shooting high velocity ammo in them either as I also put shock buffs in them. That should keep everything OK with running HV ammo with an SV spring.

9x19

Hunter
I've not noticed a difference in spring rates between the Charger (currently have 5) and the 10/22. Try swapping bolt and charging handles and see if the problem receiver still balks. Next, try a different trigger group. It could be a friction issue between bolt and receiver or bolt and hammer. Grinding a radius on the bottom rear corner of the bolt (to raise the point on contact with the hammer~increasing the leverage) was a once popular mod for those shooting standard velocity ammo.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Try different loads as I've had challenges with some too. My favorite is CCI Standard Velocity. It is subsonic out of my rifles and pistols and tends to be cleaner and cycles my 10/22s. I also have had good luck with the Remington Target and Federal Gold Metal Match loads.

I can't tell you anymore what failed me but I know there were a couple loads the 10/22s didn't like.

NikA

Buckeye
Two thoughts:
1) SV ammo should be very close to subsonic from a ~10" barrel.
2) I've found first round pop to be more of an issue than the sonic crack when shooting SV ammo suppressed from a 16" barrel.

FRP is more prevalent with certain baffle designs. I designed my Form 1 muffler with a baffle stack that reduces FRP to nearly zero with sub-sonics and a low percentage when using SV. My next Form 1 will use a mono-core to reduce weight but that comes at the cost of higher probability of that FRP. Most of my use is a one shot deal so FRP is a major issue. Having the possibility of FRP from that single SV round that's pushing the upper end of "standard velocity" is often unacceptable.
The primary impetus for going with a 10.5" barrel and a P&W suppressor is to get the shootability and accuracy of the rifle platform while maintaining the assurance of quiet(makes for a very compact and nice looking package, too). Probably should have just gone with a Charger and arm brace but Chargers have been hard to find lately. Yes, it's a slippery slope and maintaining that "balance" is critical.
I'm going to try a KIDD 10% reduced power spring and see if that is the right answer. Looks like $10 +/- will get one delivered.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Initially, when CCI first cam out with their CCI Quiet ammunition, the box and advertised velocity had the bullets coming out of the muzzle at 710 FPS. The ONLY way I could get a Ruger 10/22 to fully function with those rounds was to employ a Volquartsen "Firefly" bolt. This bolt weighs less than half of what the steel 10/22 bolt weighs. Changing springs, etc. , is a waste of time that's better spent shooting rather than changing parts. It's much easier to catch a fart in a bottle:

2yAYS2U.jpg

CCI did jump the velocities of the Quiets to 735 FPS, but still, some semi-autos didn't get the memo and were still stubborn concerning cooperation, so then, the 835 FPS Quiet ammunition hit dealers shelves, and things got better, but not the BEST, so we now have another CCI Quiet offering with a box velocity of 1020 FPS and all firearms seem to be happy, happy with those.

710 FPS
YVP4SsL.jpg

735 FPS
50EYlCY.jpg

835 FPS
VD0JoGr.jpg

I understand what you're saying SGW, BUT I was looking for a $10 solution rather than $100.
KIDD slickery nitrided action rod and 3 level spring set on the way. The sub-sonic 10-22 will get the new rod and -10% spring. Probably have another 10-22 that can use the new standard spring and for sure have one that's set up for Stingers/Velocitors that might like the +10% power spring.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
If anyone is considering shooting Stingers at 1640 FPS, or the new Federal "Punch" Defense .22 rimfire with the 29 grain bullet at 1650 FPS, at least consider a good "bolt buffer" for the bolt to slam up against:

eKLhOmZ.jpg