Anyone have a Super Blackhawk Hunter barrel cut to 5.5"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
What is the shortest ejector rod I can put on these if I want to cut the hunter barrel down more then 5 inches. I'm thinking 4 inches.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
And here I've often wondered why the Hunter doesn't have a TEN INCH barrel... :shock:

Seems to me a HUNTING Blackhawk should maximize velocity and sight radius!

Silly me... :lol:

G2

Hunter
SHOOTER said:
What is the shortest ejector rod I can put on these if I want to cut the hunter barrel down more then 5 inches. I'm thinking 4 inches.

After you go past the 5" mark, you have cut the ERH mounting screw hole off and would have to drill and tap a new hole, so I see no reason one could not pick any length down to 3".

Any shorter than that the ER is too short to be useful.

Cutting down Ejector Housings & Rods is no big deal.

Custom is custom, do what you like.... :D

SHOOTER

Buckeye
I got my hands on some new oem 44 hunter barrels. I'm going to keep one or two and sell the rest..... If anyone is interested

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
fz4vgq said:
Wondering if anyone has had a Super Blackhawk Hunter or Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter barrel cut and crowned to 5.5 " ? I really want a .41 or .44 stainless 5.5" Bisley (acusport) but can't find any..... my local dealer has a Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .44 mag. I'm right down the road from Magnaport and am thinking of buying it and dropping it off at Magnaport when they have an opening to have the barrel cut and crowned to 5.5." I don't plan on puting a scope on the gun. My other big question is.... can the existing "Hunter" front sight blade be fit to the cut barrel ?

RugerFrontSight.jpg

Thanks,
fz

Best option for shortening a Super Blackhawk to 5-1/2" comes with a stainless or blue silhouette model----bull 10-1/2" barrel & Maximum ejector assembly. The long ejector was made at this shooter's urging and incorporated on the original seven SRM prototype .357 Maximums, continuing into production of the 7-1/2 and 10-1/2 inch Blackhawk Maximums (1982) and, just after, the SBK KS411N "Silver Hornpipe" silhouette .44 (1983).

Ruger catalog
* Ruger #0806----stainless, introduced in 1983 as KS411N.
* Ruger #0807----chromemoly, introduced in 1983 as S411N.

These silhouette models have screw-on front sights, untapped bull barrel, and the Maximum ejector----which eliminates having to pluck a partially extracted shell from the chamber.

By far the easiest and most handsome way to make a 5-1/2" SBH. The barrel may trim just over 5.5-inches to flush ejector housing. A 5-3/4" barrel makes a 1/4" step to ejector.
David Bradshaw

992B

Bearcat
Several years ago I sent an old model Super Blackhawk to SSK in eastern Ohio to have barrel cut to 5", recrowned, forcing cone cut to eleven degrees and a screw mounted front sight installed. At the time the charge was about $100 plus shipping. Workmanship was first class and result was a good looking, good shooting Ohio deer gun and is both handy in a shoulder or belt holster. Turn around time was less than 30 days. Gary

Yetiman

Bearcat
Old thread back from the dead...

Just to point out that Hamilton Bowen offers this service on his web site with the original type front sight :

NO. B303 SHORTEN 'HUNTER' MODEL BARREL Factory barrel is shortened to ejector housing length and recrowned; the lettering is carefully removed. The rib is machined to accomodate the factory detachable sight. Includes a custom serrated-ramp front sight (other styles available at extra cost; inquire). Bear in mind some scopes will be too long or too large in the objective bell to use with the shortened barrel, especially with the front sight in place.

Please add Cat. No. B250 Sight Regulation.

B303 $325.00

The front sight on my Hunter made from a Bowen blank shaped and serated by David Clements when he was working over my Hunter (which is still a 7.5")
fh6m08W.jpg

Q9QnCax.jpg