What's left to do to this GP100 ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wrightd

Bearcat
I bought a new GP100 for use as a woods backup gun, 4-inch barrel. I made a few upgrades, as follows: 1) flap holster, 2) meprolight tritium night sights, 3) action smooting job, 4) one notch heavier-than-factory trigger spring, 5) chamfer cylinder charging holes for a speedloader, 6) polish the trigger and hammer. So my question is - is it done ? Have I missed anything to make the ultimate woods gun for deer/black bear/hog backup ?

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I'd have just done the trigger if it wasn't to my liking WD. But, to each his own.

Now the only thing left to do is shoot it for a lifetime. It'll be around for that. ;)

Glad you are committed to this fine tool. :)

bub

Single-Sixer
wrightd, can I ask why you bumped the trigger spring up? Was it having trouble resetting or something? I ask because, if you got a trigger job done to it, then you should be fine with the factory spring. Just curious, normally people go DOWN with springs after a trigger job on Rugers, not UP. Thanks.

Bub

wrightd

Bearcat
Oops, my mistake. I went up on the HAMMER strut spring, not the trigger. Sorry for the mistake. I did it because I had a light primer strike on some Double Tap ammo bear medicine. It fired on the second strike, but that concerned me. I didnt' want to do it, since the trigger was so smooth and easy to pull, but I don't want to risk any problem like that while hunting. What do you think ?

bub

Single-Sixer
wrightd, I have to agree with Rover 'n Rugers about your problem. The GP should reliably shoot anything out there with the stock mainspring, especially if it's been "tweaked".

I am having some trouble with my 4" GP when shooting ammo with CCI primers. I slicked up the action in my GP but left in the factory springs. CCI primers are well known for being among the hardest to set off (if not THE hardest) of the readily available commercial primers. This led me to do a little looking and I discovered that my firing pin has a sort of squared-off tip and seems REAL short when compared to my SP101 and S&W M649, which also uses a frame-mounted, spring-loaded firing pin. Due to lack of cash to send it overnight to Ruger, I haven't called them or sent it in yet, but I will before too long.

It sounds like your problem might be the firing pin to me, too. I'd have a good gunsmith check it over and especially check the firing pin. You shouldn't be having FTF problems with any primers with the stock mainspring, let alone a heavier one.

Bub