Stripping an older XRN-3RED aluminum grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ia.redneck

Bearcat
Hi all,
did a search and gathered the easiest way was old time oven cleaner (with lye).
All I have is the newer "safe" stuff. Doesn't seem to be doing much.

Would Simple Green work? or would it be too harsh for the aluminum?
Also wondered about the hydrogen peroxide/white vinegar mix?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I stripped an aluminum grit frame by soakin the thing overnight in Simple Green. Took it out, dried it off and buffed with a paper shop towel (the blue ones from Auto Zone) and it looked nickle plated! I believe it went to Flatgate some years ago. It was an original XR-3 model of 1957 vintage.

Bob Wright

I think it depends on how old the grip frame is. The older ones were anodized and could be stripped as described here. But I think the new ones are powder-coated and I have no idea how to handle that.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I don't think the newer powder coated or Cerakoted frames can be chemically stripped .
Probably must use some form of mechanical removal . Sanding , beadblasting or some such.
And be aware , your are going to have to do some "bodywork " on it when you get it stripped .
They are a pretty rough cast piece with the paint covering a lot of sins.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A little hint here to prolong your marriage, and maybe your life:

Most super markets sell thin aluminum pans of various sizes for around a dollar of so. Pick one of these for you chemical/cleaning work instead of using your wife's good cookware. A good investment. More permanent go to your hardware store or pet department and buy dog'd water bowls of stainless steel. You'll be glad you did!

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Ia.redneck

Bearcat
LOL!
I'm using one of those small stainless magnetic parts trays for working on your car/truck.
Don't want to get crossways with the Mrs! :)

Thanks for all the helpful tips.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I stripped the grip frame of my 2015 Single-six just using paint remover. It took several applications and some elbow grease but I thought it turned out pretty well. I used some metal polish afterwards to get the look that I wanted. Needsmostuff is correct in warning that there may be some irregularities in the metal that was previously covered up by the original finish, paint, but in my case it was nothing major.

Latest posts