Speed Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The other day I had the opportunity to rectify a big mistake I made about 10 years ago. At that time I owned all snubby speed six configurations including 9mm, 38 and 357, blue and stainless.
Well at that time I also was feeding a Ruger #1 habit which exceeded my wants and needs for Speed Sixes. That was a mistake I regretted...... At the same time I was going through a downsizing routine.
Flash forward to last Friday. I went into a gun shop looking for reloading supplies and what appeared in front of me was a stainless 159 prefix Speed Six. Well at $500 I snapped it up!
The Speed Six platform is my favorite Ruger revolver platform, so this was a no brainer for me.

Happy Dave :D

hittman

Staff member
Oh holy cow you lucky dog! My favorites too and killer price. Congratulations.

Mike Armstrong said:
Which caliber? (Inquiring--and envious--minds need to know!).

What is curious is that there was an SP-101 right next to it in the display case. They were asking $600 for the SP and $500 for the Speed Six…..
Go figure…. Must not know their Rugers…

Well I'd have to say that was a home run on that Speed Six. One of my favorites. The price was exceptional. I sold a 2-3/4" Stainless security six over the weekend. I cut the guy a break at $800. I won't be selling my speed six anytime soon, might even be buried with it. :mrgreen:

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Congrats!

The Speed Six is one of those revolvers I always wanted and just recently managed to acquire a beauty.

sd3pCmp.jpg

nXcTZY0.jpg

n2M2FPI.jpg

Oh man at that price---I would have had a hard time getting the cash out of my pocket fast enough without risking a hand injury!

I have been on the hunt for another 4" or 6" Security Six for about a year now. Just having a tough time finding one at a price I can live with. Something must have been shining down on you to stumble onto that deal.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:
Is that beauty cut for a lanyard? Military contract?

Yes it is. I don't know the exact history but I believe it was a contract item. I intend to send off for a letter from Ruger to see what additional information I con obtain.

rkrcpa said:
Yes it is. I don't know the exact history but I believe it was a contract item. I intend to send off for a letter from Ruger to see what additional information I con obtain.

Look it over closely for import marks, it very well could be from a French contract and imported or if no import marks it could be an overrun from that contract. Just about every firearm company with contracts always builds extras for "just in case". Also if the serial number is not on the bottom, and is on the side of the frame, that pretty much says it was from a contract. When you send your "letter" request form, give them any info you might have and ask them if they can tell you where it was originally shipped to - they will do that if you ask. That way you will get more info about it's travels.

Good looking revolver by the way.

wagsfn

Bearcat
Boy, who doesn't love a 2.75" Speed Six. I usually break mine out in the winter months when I'm bundled up. Thought about bobbing hammer (more than once) but doubt I ever will. Thanks for sharing......

4dpBjPth.jpg

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
RoninPA said:
rkrcpa said:

Look it over closely for import marks, it very well could be from a French contract and imported or if no import marks it could be an overrun from that contract. Just about every firearm company with contracts always builds extras for "just in case". Also if the serial number is not on the bottom, and is on the side of the frame, that pretty much says it was from a contract. When you send your "letter" request form, give them any info you might have and ask them if they can tell you where it was originally shipped to - they will do that if you ask. That way you will get more info about it's travels.

Good looking revolver by the way.

The serial number is on the side of the grip frame. There are no import marks at all, I'm hoping Ruger can shed some light on the issue.

BloodyThumb

Bearcat
My VERY first backup and off duty. Stainless 2.75". I still have it and do not plan to part with it. Selling off a lot of guns I bought over the years, but that one will be passed down to (probably) a grandson.

I LOVE 3" K frames and also have a 65 that I carried for year. I can't really say I like either one better than the other. Only that they both stay in the family.

I agree with others. Ruger has made a lot of good revolvers since, but none better for carry... not in revolvers anyway.

Latest posts