Disassembly of DAO GPNY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I just won an auction for a GPNY, an NYPD GP100 in .38 Special. Paid a bit more than I wanted but original factory box and GPNY markings and I figured I had to jump.

I know how to take down Ruger GP and Six series guns, but there's no hammer spur to grab to cock the hammer and place the pin in the hole on the hammer spring to take it down. Do I just slowly pull the trigger until the hole is revealed and put the pin in, the let the hammer fall to remove the tension and then disassemble as usual? I always like to take used guns apart to give them a thorough cleaning. Thanks.

After taking the grips off, pull the trigger until you can grab the top of the hammer and pull it back until you can insert the take down pin. Then the rest is exactly the same any GP100.

When you put it back together, put the hammer and hammer pivot back in, then put the mainspring back in (it will be loose until you put tension on it from the hammer). Then use your thumb to pull the hammer back (or the trigger) to take the pin out and lower the hammer until you can let it go, or once the pin is out, you should feel tension on the hammer and trigger and then use the trigger to lower the hammer.

Good snag on a GPNY, they can be hard to find and as such they will sell for more than average.