My new-to-me Blackhawk has a steel ERH...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Killer

Bearcat
I just bought this Blackhawk in 45 Colt, 4 5/8" bbl, blued, from the guy who bought it new and it has a steel ERH (ejector rod housing) already installed on it, never saw that before, is this new Ruger policy? Previous owner did nothing but run about 150 cowboy level loads through it, factory stuff. Anyone else seen this? The gun has the billboard on the bottom of the barrel, black plastic grips and Ruger's website says it shipped in 2015. It is NOT the Flat Top model and it does have the alloy grip frame.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
If I remember correctly, I believe I read one time more than a few years ago that Ruger was changing to a steel ERH on their NM Blackhawks. My 41 mag NM Blackhawk that is about 20 Y.O. has the aluminum type. If it was the same barrel length I would trade ERHs. LOL

Killer

Bearcat
Thanks for your response, Dennis, I'm kind of surprised no one else had anything to say about it. I prefer the steel ERH, personally.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Luckyducker said:
If I remember correctly, I believe I read one time more than a few years ago that Ruger was changing to a steel ERH on their NM Blackhawks. My 41 mag NM Blackhawk that is about 20 Y.O. has the aluminum type. If it was the same barrel length I would trade ERHs. LOL

The ERHs are all the same length regardless of barrel length except the 10" barrel models which are 1" longer.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
From my list of Ruger changes:

2009: Steel ejector rod housings introduced on SBHs, BHs, and Bisleys.

Late Vaqueros began using them and it was carried over to the New Vaqueros and NM Flat Top Blackhawks in 2005, then all NM Blackhawks by 2009.