Blackhawk hammers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you want it to look factory original, remove it from the gun and flat sand it in one direction on a flat surface using sand paper with matching grit (about 320), as the existing finish until clean. Then polish lightly with a buffing wheel to restore the bright finish and leave the grit lines showing.

I usually finish cleaning with 2000 grit paper and then polish for a high polish with no sanding lines visible. It will not get stained as easy and easier to re-clean just by polishing.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Why are they getting discolored? Mine are still bright, though the bluing has worn considerably on top of the spur.

Bob Wright

kevin masten

Blackhawk
As above regarding staining metal in the white. I have friends who have "wet" hands. The acids our bodies produce will cause the staining as well. I can attest to the fact that some of my friends can grasp a revolver, pistol and leave visible moisture of the grip frame. Their body fluids can cause rust overnight! You don't have to remove the hammer to remove the staining, depending how far down the hammer it goes. Take a flat piece of wood, (a flat ice cream stick works great) and wrap a. 400-500 grit metal polishing paper and work slowly and you will amaze yourself what a great outcome you will achieve, working slowly, keeping the paper flat so you will not"round" the edges of the hammer. Oil and your hammer will remain stain free for a long time.

Regards